The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I agree...MOM is not for the runs...its for binding Toxins in the gut and can cause the runs ...do you know why the goat has the runs?? Dietary, worms? Some times if mine get a runny butt and it has a green tint to it, (dietary) but they are acting well other wise I choose Pepto to sooth the tummy and dry the bum...but if they are down and sickly with the runs...I would choose the MOM (unless I have C D Antitoxin)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first I thought she pigged out on the others grain, so I separated her and pulled her grain hoping it would clear up. But after 2 more days I knew it was something more. I checked her lower inner eyelids and they were white. All I had on hand was safeguard. Gave a triple strength dose for 3 days (today was the 3rd day) but she still has a loose gut. She must have a bit of a belly ache too. I put out quite a bit of baking soda for her and she gobbled down a good deal of it. Not very thirsty. She has a good appetite. Chewing cud. Inner eyelids are already pinker. I will have a fecal done at the end of the week to see if the safeguard worked. I ended up not giving any MOM. Any advice or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
It is probably barberpole, strongyle or coccidia. I would get the fecal done on Monday. Safeguard takes care of very few worms. You will probably need another type of dewormer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So since she isn't making berries to collect, do I just collect some of the loose stuff sitting on her back end to take in? About how much is needed?

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
yes...as much as you can...with it being so loose, thinned out.. they will need a fair amount to get a good look..

·
Registered
355 Posts
ah poor girl, have (I'm sure you have) you tried giving her some tree branches while you wait to get the fecal?

Tree bark, small branches and leaves help my sick goats while treating for whatever their illness. I particularly like willow, it seems to sooth the tummy and slow down scours while I figure out what the heck is going on. I live close to the Sacramento River so I just drive down and start pruning the heck out of an overgrown willow tree or bush. The young stems work best.
Good luck :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts