The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This evening at feed time I notice when Dot got up from laying down in pasture,she acted very stiff like her front leg or legs bothered her. She stayed back out in edge of pasture and would not come in the pens with the rest of the herd. I fed everybody else then move them out to a larger pen and called her in to eat. She looked very rough and like she didn’t feel well. She gobble her alfalfa and oats mixed Sun flower seed her some more.I decided to take her temp and her twins were scrambling to nurse. She didn’t want them nursing and fought them off. I then took her temp and it was 98.8f. I’m not sure if the thermometer was correct and was the only one I had in the pasture. I had a needle full of B Complex for Knot so I used it for her. I had probiotics and replamin with me and also Redcell. I gave the shot 6ml and the probotics , Redcell . I rubbed her down the sides and back to warm her some and put her some hay out. She went to work on the hay and I noticed she let the babies suck a little. I penned her up in a good dry enclosed pen for the night. I added more hay to floor so she and her babies could lay on it. I put her some
Water down in a 5 gallon bucket so the kids can’t get into it. She is under a Cydectin worm treatment now and 2nd dose is in 5 days. What else can I do?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
@TCOLVIN you definitely seem to have frequent issues with this. I would honestly put all your goats on HerBiotic from fir meadow and garlic every day for a while, the frequency of these issues concerns me.

Now, she is in lactation, right? The stiff/wobbly legs and depressed attitude compiled with a low temp can be hypocalcemia related.

I would give 30cc molasses mixed with 30cc water - nice and warm, as warm as you can get it without being too hot, which also raises blood sugar for warmth. Some cayenne and honey rubbed on gums.

Re-take temp frequently and monitor that closely.

watch for any neurological symptoms.

Please please do not start with your routine of Nuflor for this case, not unless there is a temp spike or indications of pneumonia.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TCOLVIN you definitely seem to have frequent issues with this. I would honestly put all your goats on HerBiotic from fir meadow and garlic every day for a while, the frequency of these issues concerns me.

Now, she is in lactation, right? The stiff/wobbly legs and depressed attitude compiled with a low temp can be hypocalcemia related.

I would give 30cc molasses mixed with 30cc water - nice and warm, as warm as you can get it without being too hot, which also raises blood sugar for warmth. Some cayenne and honey rubbed on gums.

Re-take temp frequently and monitor that closely.

watch for any neurological symptoms.

Please please do not start with your routine of Nuflor for this case, not unless there is a temp spike or indications of pneumonia.
She has been getting garlic almost everyday for at least 3 months or more now. She ate 12 cloves this evening. Normally I don't let them have over 4 cloves. My routine with Nuflor has never been with low temps and every one that I have given Nuflor to has gotten well thank you. Nuflor was proclaimed as the God send by many on here until I ordered it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
She has been getting garlic almost everyday for at least 3 months or more now. She ate 12 cloves this evening. Normally I don't let them have over 4 cloves. My routine with Nuflor has never been with low temps and every one that I have given Nuflor to has gotten well thank you. Nuflor was proclaimed as the God send by many on here until I ordered it.
Oh gosh, I think my tone was taken wrong.

No snark involved whatsoever, I have just seen you give Nuflor quite frequently in situations with your off does, and wanted to make sure you didn't give this as a precaution, like you have done (rightfully so) because there may be something differently involved. Not until more investigation is done.

I realize you give your goats garlic frequently, that is why I recommended the HerBiotic, to step it up. :)

Hugs and kind wishes, my message was in no way directed with rudeness.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh gosh, I think my tone was taken wrong.

No snark involved whatsoever, I have just seen you give Nuflor quite frequently in situations with your off does, and wanted to make sure you didn't give this as a precaution, like you have done (rightfully so) because there may be something differently involved. Not until more investigation is done.

I realize you give your goats garlic frequently, that is why I recommended the HerBiotic, to step it up. :)

Hugs and kind wishes, my message was in no way directed with rudeness.
Sorry, I came off a little strong. These holidays and work and cows and goats keep me running sometimes too much. I know you meant well and I know what you have done to help me with my gals. I really appreciate your input. I have a high respect for you and your knowledge of goats. Ellie and Abel and Knot send their thanks for the input from you that brought them out of the woods. Thanks, sincerely meant.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
This evening at feed time I notice when Dot got up from laying down in pasture,she acted very stiff like her front leg or legs bothered her. She stayed back out in edge of pasture and would not come in the pens with the rest of the herd. I fed everybody else then move them out to a larger pen and called her in to eat. She looked very rough and like she didn't feel well. She gobble her alfalfa and oats mixed Southaven her some more.I decided to take her temp and her twins were scrambling to nurse. She didn't want them nursing and fought them off. I then took her temp and it was 98.8f. I'm not sure if the thermometer was correct and was the only one I had in the pasture. I had a needle full of B Complex for Knot so I used it for her. I had probiotics and replamin with me and also Redcell. I gave the shot 6ml and the probotics , Redcell . I rubbed her down the sides and back to warm her some and put her some hay out. She went to work on the hay and I noticed she let the babies suck a little. I penned her up in a good dry enclosed pen for the night. I added more hay to floor so she and her babies could lay on it. I put her some
Water down in a 5 gallon bucket so the kids can't get into it. She is under a Cydectin worm treatment now and 2nd dose is in 5 days. What else can I do?
How long fresh is she? Is this the first day she and the kids have been out with the herd? How much and what kind of feed and hay is she getting?

Eta. When my girls are in milk.... they all get two calcium gummies from the drug store daily. Mine are pretty heavy milkers though. I usually start a week before they freshen. alfalfa pellet is good for calcium as is alfalfa hay. But with both start slow or you may notice poop changes for a lil bit. They also always have a good mixed hay available at all times.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Definitely check her udder for warmth, hardness, redness or soreness. . Check babies for fullness as well. A juice of 2 carrots and 2 celery will offer calcium, a safe way if she doesn't need it..wont hurt. Or a dose of cmpk which she will hate but may help if she is low in calcium.
Even tums can help in a pinch.
Recheck temp after shes up and moving a bit in the morning...b complex is always a good call.

Just an idea for furture..I have a tool box on wheels I keep emergency meds and supplies in. If I need to do a farm call I have room for medications to bring along not knowing what I'll need. My box has needles and syringes, vet wrap..several thermometers.., alcohol wipes, rubber gloves,non refrigerated meds like Activated charcoal..terramycin cream..the list is long lol. But since you have what seems like a ways to your house out to the pasture...this might be helpful. My tool box has a large rolling botton and a second smaller one that attaches to the rolling one.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely check her udder for warmth, hardness, redness or soreness. . Check babies for fullness as well. A juice of 2 carrots and 2 celery will offer calcium, a safe way if she doesn't need it..wont hurt. Or a dose of cmpk which she will hate but may help if she is low in calcium.
Even tums can help in a pinch.
Recheck temp after shes up and moving a bit in the morning...b complex is always a good call.

Just an idea for furture..I have a tool box on wheels I keep emergency meds and supplies in. If I need to do a farm call I have room for medications to bring along not knowing what I'll need. My box has needles and syringes, vet wrap..several thermometers.., alcohol wipes, rubber gloves,non refrigerated meds like Activated charcoal..terramycin cream..the list is long lol. But since you have what seems like a ways to your house out to the pasture...this might be helpful. My tool box has a large rolling botton and a second smaller one that attaches to the rolling one.
Thanks for this in put. I like the tool box idea also. I found some calcium for my cows this morning in my cabinet. They are a bolus I guess as they are about 6 inches long and a good inch in diameter. I took a hammer and big knife and cut off about an inch it, broke it up and added a little warm water to dissolve it. Now I'm going to drench it this morning. Also found a calf and goat probotics bolus that is in a pill form about 1 inch long and 3/8 inch diameter. I also have it dissolving so I can drench it. I think will her BP worm load and the stress of kidding plus 3 kids on her has just pulled her down. I am going to the pens shortly and I'm going to do a morning temp check praying that it will be up from where it was. I will be giving another B complex shot and the calcium and probiotic drenches aforementioned. Should I even think of a little thiamine shot? I know that the barber pole can cause a deficiency in vitamin B .

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long fresh is she? Is this the first day she and the kids have been out with the herd? How much and what kind of feed and hay is she getting?

Eta. When my girls are in milk.... they all get two calcium gummies from the drug store daily. Mine are pretty heavy milkers though. I usually start a week before they freshen. alfalfa pellet is good for calcium as is alfalfa hay. But with both start slow or you may notice poop changes for a lil bit. They also always have a good mixed hay available at all times.
No, her kids were born December 15, 2020. She gets coastal Bermuda hay as that's about the only one they will eat. Alfalfa is not and option around her. I think with the BP worm load it just got her pull down with the 2 kids on her. She is due another worm dose in 4 days now (2nd).

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics of calcium stick and calf/goat probiotics bolus
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Temp this morning is 103.3f. I gave her the drenches and a B complex shot 6ml. Udder was warm but no more than another a felt of. Fed only alfalfa. She acted like she feels a lot better. I let her back to pasture.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Temp this morning is 103.3f. I gave her the drenches and a B complex shot 6ml. Udder was warm but no more than another a felt of. Fed only alfalfa. She acted like she feels a lot better. I let her back to pasture.
She is still not crazy about the kids sucking.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
How do the kids look? Tummies seem full? Her temp this morning..although within normal range concerns me going from sub to 103.3 in the cold morning. Recheck tonight when you come back out..watch for a spike. Let's make sure pneumonia is not setting in.
Good job with her.

Definitely look into a tool box! It's a time saver!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
@TCOLVIN no hard feelings my friend :squish:

I agree to monitor that temp to make sure she isn't going feverish.

Personally, I have never taken my goats' rectal temps in the mornings, for all I know they go down to 98 too - maybe you just check too early before they get more circulation?

Weigh the kids daily to make sure they are gaining weight.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do the kids look? Tummies seem full? Her temp this morning..although within normal range concerns me going from sub to 103.3 in the cold morning. Recheck tonight when you come back out..watch for a spike. Let's make sure pneumonia is not setting in.
Good job with her.

Definitely look into a tool box! It's a time saver!
Possibly the thermometer? I have been using it up until that evening. I used a different one this morning. I'll check it again this evening.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Possibly the thermometer? I have been using it up until that evening. I used a different one this morning. I'll check it again this evening.
I think I figured it out. I was late getting to the pens and didn't have a flashlight handy. My helper held her but the light was not good at all. I tried to read with phone phone dial. It look like 98.9f to me but was on Celsius that read 39.9c which would be about 103.8f. This would be a tad high. I think I'm correct because the thermometer retains the last reading and when I looked at it this evening it was on Celsius 39.9c. I never use Celsius on my thermometers. I don't know how it got changed. I'll make sure when I'm doing this again. Still she needs some body building with feed, minerals, b complex and probotics. I come in early this evening and when I drove by I took my binoculars and looked out in pasture at her. She was laying upright in the sun. Babies were playing and jumping on her. One thing I didn't notice was I didn't see her chewing her cud. I need black beer. I don't know where to find it locally. I just have to see.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Things can get confused in the dark.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This evening the temp was 104.9f. I gave her a probotic drench and a b complex shot. I fed her a lot of garlic cloves (6-7) and alfalfa only, no grain. I am concerned about the rise in temp. I’m going to look for black beer tomorrow also for her stomach problem. If the temp is still up Tomorrow I’m going for the Nuflor route.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts