Dottie has bumps again.....................

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by enjoytheride, Jan 19, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I thought that maybe everything was getting better- Timber was recovering from her lack of calcium because I took her off alfalfa when the vet said she was too fat and her scratches were ots better. And Dottie's bumps has almost dissappeared.
    The swelling had not gone away though but the vet couldn't think anything was really wrong.
    Then this morning - her tail and below was covered with these bumps again.

[​IMG]

The vet told me it couldn't be staph dermititis as it broke out while she was on Naxel. Yet he just stands there without saying anything when I ask what it is.

At least she is still eating well- but I can see it bothers her a great deal.

For those of you who have had something similar- did it keep coming and going? For how long?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is there anyway to take a skin sample? is it at all kitty?

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No pus- just the bumps coming up through the skin, then it changes to what the pictures show then it fades away. But one of these days it seems that it will get infected with something bacterial. Before the outbreak the skin gets swollen and red.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like an alergic reaction to something.

Are there any treats you feed that con inside with the break outs?

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No- they get the same things every day- a small amount of whole oats, a little corn oil with the vet mineral mix added in- then timothy hay. Was alfalfa but she had bumps on both hays.
    It doesn't look like hives- they are flat on horses - are they different for goats?

I could try some benadryl as see if it goes away?

She has had some bumps on her mouth and nose for months- they come and go but never more than one or two that don't seem to bother her.

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    what about insect bites? do you have fire ants? (no clue about your climate :roll:

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No- it's not really too cold- about 35 degress. Very little insect life now. No fire ants thank goodness.

8. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    It looks like a yeast infection to me, but I don't know if goats can get such a thing. Has she been on any antibiotics?

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that is very strange and I hope you figure out what will make it go away....maybe putting some alcohol on them twice a day.....not sure how that would affect her but I don't think it would hurt.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually Dutch I do believe she has - due to the vet believing she had some uterin infection.

11. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    I would definately get her on some probiotics, or yogurt if you don't have any. I know antibiotics can really mess up an immune system. You have to put back the good bacteria.
    That sure would be my guess.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I can start putting her on probiotic in her feed today.
    Does a yeast infection turn the skin really red and swollen before it breaks out? That's what has repeatedly happened to Dot. Then the bumps come out, turn to the whitish scabby things then it fades and the whole thing repeats. I've never had such a thing as a yeast infection and don't know what it looks like.
    Her vulva is still really swollen. I would like to kind of open it a bit to see if anything is there causing the swelling but I haven a clue how to get her to let me do such a thing all by myself- or even with a helper.

13. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    My daughter has food allergies, that will put her into a yeast infection if she eats anything with sugar. She gets it in her mouth and tongue as well, as that's exactly how it starts and looks.
    The only thing she can do is massive probiotics. Since Dottie was on antibiotics, that will do the same thing.
    It's like when human babies get thrush in their mouth, it's actually a "candida" infection.
    I sure hope this is the answer, but I would leave it alone, and not irritate those membranes. It may take a few days, but if it is yeast, you will start to see an improvement, and keep her on the probiotics for a few weeks, and no sweet feed with molasses or anything.

14. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    What's the word on Dottie? Is she doing better, and what did you do to help her?
    I hope she's better.

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The bumps have stopped appearing but her rear is still swoolen- I was just think about making an appointment with the thrid vet in the practice since the first two don't seem interested. There's supposed to be a break in the weather on Tuesday.

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would take her to the vet and see what they say.

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Another $108 down the tube- the third vet said that Dottie has a dermatits and a couple of the bump right on her vulva- hello what have I been saying- she suggested washing her rear end down with Novasan scrub. She did draw blood for another blood counet and will let me know what it tells.

18. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    I'm so sorry you have such a difficult time with vets. We are lucky to have 2 that are very good with goats, and they only charge $40.00 to come to the farm!!
    I'm still sticking with the yeast infection theory, is there anything in her feed that gets converted to yeast or sugar?
    Just FYI, 99% of all medical Drs. would treat a yeast infection in humans with medication instead of treating the cause which is ALWAYS diet.
    My favorite quote is "The call is coming from inside the house"!!!

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I guess the worse part is that all of the vets have told me that she isn't swollen behind where every goat own who has looked says the she either looks pregnant or in heat even when she isn't. But then all the vets have told me that goats shouldn't have a mineral supplement with copper as they have all treated copper overdoses. When I ask whether these were sheep or goats, it was sheep but still they sell the goat and sheep mineral mix with no copper in it and tell me how dangerous it is to supplement copper. I just can't feel that I can rely on their advice.

20. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    If this were my goat and I thought there was any chance of yeast infection, I'd be feeding her some Pau'd Arco and putting it in her water supply. It will cure yeast infection faster than anything (but still do the probiotics/yogurt thing!!) and is all natural. Even if it is NOT a yeast infection, the PA will boost her immune system to help her fight anything else, including helping with the suppressed immune system that can be triggered by an allergy. It can't hurt her regardless.