The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a young doe with double channeled teats. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know its supposed to be hard to milk, but will she be able to nurse kids. Will this be a trait she can pass onto future kids?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
A teat with a double orifice can nurse kids as long as the teat isn’t too thick. It is genetic. There are no guarantees she will pass it directly to her offspring, but there’s always a possibility it could pop up down the line.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a young doe with double channeled teats. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know its supposed to be hard to milk, but will she be able to nurse kids. Will this be a trait she can pass onto future kids?
thanks.
I bred my does to a buck that had this genetic trait and resulted in offspring that had that problem. It was very pronounced when they were young, but the older they got, the less extra-teat stood out. My understanding is that both the male and female have to carry the gene. So if you breed her to a male who does not have that gene, you will be ok.

I chose to breed one of them to a new buck to see what would happen (Ready to bottle feed if needed), but as her udders developed, the defect is almost unnoticeable. I hope that bodes well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts