Double teat

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Apr 16, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - so when I was cleaning Hemi's butt last night, I flipped him up and noticed he has a double teat :shocked: on one side.

I never checked him because I knew from the beginning I was going to be wethering him, so I didn't care -

But here is my question - with him having a double teat - where, predominately, does that come from - the dam or the sire????

Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would think the sire....mostly.... :wink: :greengrin:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is what I was wondering - his sire is Joe Dirt, who is deceased, and his dam does not have the double teat.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor Joe..I still miss him.... :( ..did he have a double teat?

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I've had them pop up on kids with both parents being clean two teated.. I check them every week too.. sometimes they just grow! i'll find the like to the article

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If neither of his parents had a double orfice or teat, then they were both carrying the recessive gene for it.
    beth

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To be honest, I have NO idea if Joe had one of not -

I do still miss him also - but there is a POSSIBILITY of Joe babies in a couple days - we will have to wait and see.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh I missed when Joe died. . . when did that happen? I am so sorry, he was such a cutie!

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

none of my goats are recessive for that.. it grew when the kids was 9 weeks.. there's an article my friend wrote i'm trying to find

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Joe passed away December 5th from a esophogial tear. It broke my heart - so i am so praying that Trinity has a doeling of his for me. If the kid/s are born with blue eyes, then I know that they are Blues. If they have brown eyes, then I will be DNA testing to find out if they are Joe's or not.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok so .. they are called phytoestrogens.

some people don't believe it.. but.. i do

when i fed feed with a lot of soy and other high phytoestrogens is when i had my double teated goats ( two completely seperate lines and two completely different aged goats) both were clean at birth and then every week till weaning.. the wether, who was gong to be a buck,'s showed up when he was 11 weeks completely out of the blue

the second was a 5 month old doe.. who i checked every few weeks or so when i worked with her and then one day BAM there it was

heres the link
    http://www.geocities.com/desertwindsnv/herbspart4.html

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope and pray that they are perfect teated for you are very healthy..and that you get at least 2 doelings out of Joe....Thinking pink..... :wink: :girl: :girl: praying pink... :pray:

SDK ....I have never had any of my goaties...grow a teat later or anything ...at birth what it's been for me is...what you see .....is ...what you get.... :wink:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's what's weird.. i've never had a kid born with a third teat.. they always grow when they are weaned..

I should check memphis.. when i got her at 3 months she had two teats.. I haven't checked her in awhile..

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow SDK ...it has to be coming from somewhere.... :scratch: that's crazy...and I bet it it driving you nuts..... :hug: :sigh: :help: :doh:

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I haven't had one happen since last year.. After gabby's grew.. I got rid of all my soy based feed and only doe's that are in late pregnancy and milking get straight alfalfa and grain( which is soy free).

everybody else gets grass/alfalfa and alfalfa oat pellets..

So far no kids have had any second teats or spurs and freddy ( who is the oldest) is nearing 4 months so.. I am never feeding soy based feed again.. unless its the meat wethers... then they are tasty

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ......it blows my mind.... that it is caused by.......soy based feed :scratch:

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    It's what i'm assuming is the cause.. at least for mine.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Boots(Teddys Dam) had one that was teeny next to a regular teat, since she's been freshened 7 times, it "disappeared"...Teddy doesn't have but 2 teats, Chief (Teddys sire) has 2 teats......Doc(Moo) has an extra teeny teat...he's being banded next week, his brother Bugsy doesn't have the xtra, but I'm guessing that since Boots had that one that she's the carrier therefore it must be recessive in Teddy.

19. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Phytoestrogens and double teats. Are there studies to suggest this? Certainly a hormonal influence sounds plausible but I've not heard this anywhere else. Especially since teat issues that I'm familiar with seem to show up in certain individuals that are passed along.

20. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    not any "real" studies.. but.. i KNOW my animals don't carry it..