The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this and admire your commitment to caring for your animal. That is stressful. I'm pretty new to goats but not new to livestock. Can you pull blood and do a panel for goat diseases? Is there such a thing?
If your buck has not given up and passed after all this maybe there is an underlying disease at hand.
We are dealing with a sick cow right now and have had blood pulled. If anything it narrows down your option.
Also, has anyone mentioned red cell since his eye lids are white? I have seen conflicting dosing advice on the boards. I did half an ounce to an ounce 3 days in a row then went to every other day, then tapered off from there. My doe showed improvement so I did the tapering method. Someone more knowledgeable with experience could give dosage info.
Also have you considered any of the herbs that are known for combating worms. At this point ordering herbal wormer may be to late and a waste of money...I use minced garlic mixed with a small amount of sweet feed. Garlic is also EXCELLENT for the blood if you can get it in him. Off the top of my head Oregano oil addresses Virus's. Tea trea does bacterial issues. You could google natural wormers/remedies, idk...just thinking. Lastly if you think you have the Meeniga worm, google herbs that address that specific worm. If a human has dealt with it and used an herb it will be the same help for a goat.
Until you know exactly what you are dealing with your hands are pretty much tied. That's when I start in on natural stuff. I feel it's safer as a whole and have had some success with it in the past.
Sure hope your guy pulls out of this.

I am new to Goat Spot. I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone reads it and can help! Yesterday we wormed our Nigerian dwarf herd with ivermectin 1% orally. When I was worming one of our 2wk old bucklings(per vet orders due to worm overload in one of our does) the plunger slipped an he got 3 ml instead of .05! Now, 18 hours later he is acting drunk. Wobbly, unsteady, and falling down. We have brought him inside and put in a crate. I have charcoal on hand, but cant find much advice online for what to do in a case like this. Any suggestions?

I am new to Goat Spot. I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone reads it and can help! Yesterday we wormed our Nigerian dwarf herd with ivermectin 1% orally. When I was worming one of our 2wk old bucklings(per vet orders due to worm overload in one of our does) the plunger slipped an he got 3 ml instead of .05! Now, 18 hours later he is acting drunk. Wobbly, unsteady, and falling down. We have brought him inside and put in a crate. I have charcoal on hand, but cant find much advice online for what to do in a case like this. Any suggestions?
Ivermectin has such a huge safety margin that there probably won't be much information available about toxicity online because it rarely happens. I think dosing the activated charcoal and calling the veterinarian is your best plan.

(He was supposed to get 0.5mL not 0.05 correct?)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.