Douching after stillborn

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by farmerA, Feb 24, 2020.

1. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    I'm in a bit of an emergency situation with my doe and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. She had three awesomely beautiful and healthy kids last Wednesday and then struggled for almost 15 hours to pass the placenta. I called the after-hours vet emergency line because I was sure she was having a 4th baby and they basically laughed at me and said no, she's not. Because this was my first kidding experience I stupidly trusted his professional judgment. By Friday she was not doing well so I called the vet back but it was too late to get her in so my husband went and picked up a bunch of stuff to cover all bases. We got cmpk in case it was milk fever, oxytocin to induce contractions in case there was a little bit of fetal matter left, antibiotics to cover all bases. By Saturday night I could see something coming out but couldn't tell what it was. I was terrified it was her uterus. By yesterday morning it was obvious that it was a fourth baby. The vet said not to do anything and not to intervene but they would come out today. They said intervening could kill her faster than not intervening which kind of seems ridiculous but again, this was my first kidding experience. My second kidding experience was less than 24 hours with a doe that was six to eight weeks early due to a big oops moment at the breeder but that's another story.

So today that couldn't come after all so I decided I needed to intervene. I couldn't keep watching her suffer. After about 20 pairs of rubber gloves, numerous hours and 3/4 of a bottle of Veterinary Lube, we got the hugest baby I've ever seen out of her. It was in one piece though missing an eyeball. I was told to douche her with a vinegar water solution followed by 5 days of antibiotics. Does anyone know the ratio of what I should douche her with? We just got the stillborn out and I want to get on this as quickly as possible. She is my soul goat and after 5 days of struggling and birthing, I want to make sure she has a good chance at surviving. We live really far from any stores that carry animal supplies and I don't drive so I think the vinegar water is going to be the best I can do. I mean along with la200 injections for the next 5 days. That was the only antibiotic we could locate within an hour and a half radius of our house.

She hasn't been eating or drinking hardly at all but I've been syringing warm electrolyte and molasses water into her mouth and finally today she started tiny little nibbles. She's maybe only had nine bites of food but that is significantly better than yesterday's four.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have. I just got a text from a goat person also so if I don't respond straight away it's because I'm getting down to business. You guys are all awesome and I've learned so very much from you just reading threads over the past year.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You need to get a 500 ml bottle of sterile saline solution. Then you add enough Betadine to make it look like weak tea. Flush her with that for 3 days in a row. So you need 3 bottles of the saline. Do antibiotics for 14 days. Use IV tubing like this https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/pro...Wx0cy8lN0IlMjJxJTIyJTNBJTIyaXYrdHViZSUyMiU3RA without a needle. Will have to insert the tubing into her uterus then attach the bottle to the big end. Hold bottle upside down and put the whole bottle in.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She needs Banamine in order to get her appetite back. Do you have injectable Banamine or can you locate a horse boarding barn and beg their mercy? You only need 1cc per 100lbs for 3 days injected subq.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Also, serious kudos. I'm so sorry for your experience but way to assess the issue yourself and really do what needed to be done even though you had no experience. There is a word for overly large deformed fetus, I can't think of it, in cows it's a "bulldog calf" I believe.

5. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    I was able to get her a little bit on Saturday but not since. I will definitely work on that. She's only about 65 lb so she hardly needs any. Thank you!

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  6. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    Thank you so much! This has been a crazy wild ride for sure. Before today I was the most squeamish person you could possibly imagine. Simple little things like hairballs in a bathroom drain make me gag uncontrollably, for example. I'm not sure how I managed but I love this girl and all of my squeamishness and sensitivities got pushed to the wayside.

7. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    Thank you all so very much for the tips! I wish I had time to respond to each of you individually but right now I feel like I'm racing against the clock to make sure the girl survives. I will thank you more properly soon. In the meantime, huge huge overflowing gratitude to each of you!

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Great job keeping your emotions in check getting the kid out , I know it was hard.
    Just an idea that might be closer for. You...
    You can also go to the grocery or pharmacy and get a reusable human douche bag that will have everything you need so you can flush her out. Just be very very careful inserting it with lots of lube. I'd use the iodine and for extra precaution you can put a cc or two of the LA200 in the flush.
    Sending prayers your way

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I am SO SORRY you went threw this! You did awesome by stepping in. I think I would also go with goofygoat and put some antibiotics in the flush. It surely won’t hurt anything.
    Wait for a answer on this one but would a human over the counter pain pill work? Like Ibuprofen or something? I have banamine and I know one of them goats can not have but I forget which one.
    You can also give vitamin B complex and see if that helps her get more of a appetite, probiotics or yogurt with live active culture won’t hurt either. You did and are doing such a awesome job!

10. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The douche recipe is 1/4 cup vinegar with 3/4 cup boiled or distilled water.

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    A few years ago I gave Ibuprofen to a doe that pulled a muscle during birth and couldn't stand up. I can't remember how much I gave. I think it was a lot (like 5 pills twice a day or something). In her case I gave it for about 3 days until she could stand and walk properly again. It works very well. It was one of the drugs ok'd for nursing human moms which was why I went with it for that goat. I normally give aspirin to goats when I can't get banamine, but aspirin is NOT recommended for nursing mothers.

Good job helping your doe. I hope she recovers quickly!

Nigerian123 and farmerA like this.
  12. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Fias co farm has a good website that lists what drugs you can give goats as well as dose.

farmerA likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You have received very good advice.

I am so sorry you had a bad vet, that is horrible and that vet should lose their vet license for being so wrong and ignorant.
    That should not of been missed if the vet knew what they were doing.

Do you have any other vets around?

farmerA, SandyNubians and GoofyGoat like this.
  14. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    How are your goats doing?

farmerA likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope things are OK.

farmerA likes this.
  16. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    My apologies for the delay in response but things took a turn for the major worst. I was giving her a couple of douches a day, la200 injections daily, hand-feeding and hand watering her, daily B complex and the whole nine yards. She started to get better for a couple of days and then started going downhill. She passed away early yesterday morning and my heart is absolutely broken. She was my favorite goat and best friend. That probably sounds weird but it's true. I didn't realize until burying her yesterday that there was a fifth baby. I never did pelvic exam but I did bump her and I didn't feel anything else. I know I did everything I could to the best of my ability and then some but I feel like I failed her in a way not realizing there was another. If only the dang vet would have come when I insisted there was another kid. :-(

17. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You did great so do not beat yourself up over this. Now it is time to give that love to her kids. ;).

farmerA, GoofyGoat and Damfino like this.
  18. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I am so sorry... I hope that when you feel a little better you can tell the vet this story. Then maybe he will be a little better at his job!

farmerA and Damfino like this.
  19. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh...I just read the whole thread at one sitting. I am heartbroken for you. Don't beat yourself up and DO give yourself permission to grieve. (((((Hugs)))))

farmerA and GoofyGoat like this.