The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats pasture is COVERED in doveweed! They just will not eat it! Here is a pic of the texas doveweed

It doesn't seem like my goats like it! Is it poisonous or something? Their pasture is almost entirely that stuff because they just wont eat it! It has little fuzzy leafs and it has little seeds that get stuck to you when you are walking through it. And of course, the doves LOVE the seeds.

@GoofyGoat @happybleats @TexasGoatMan @Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Doveweed, also known as croton setigerus or turkey mullein does have toxic foliage to animals. Livestock do well to avoid it, and it does not usually need to be removed. The seeds are not poisonous to birds, hence the name.

I wouldn’t worry about getting rid of it if they aren’t eating it. Unless you want to, of course.

Also, remember that usually when goats avoid something, they are using good intuition, and it is most likely a poisonous object or plant. MOST of the time.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
we have both knight shade and dove weed. Goats may nibble a little but for the most part they wont touch it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I don't know anything about that one. I wonder if a sheep would eat it? If you don't find a way to get rid of it that's all you will have.

Reactions: Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I googled dove weed and came up with a completely different plant. Is the weed you have called anything else?

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I googled dove weed and came up with a completely different plant. Is the weed you have called anything else?
croton setigerus or turkey mullein

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Reading about your doveweed makes me want to take some to a pond. lol

Reactions: Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
My goats won't touch it either, My local feedstore told me to buy a product called "graze-on" to kill all the weeds that you don't want in your pasture. It's really pricey but is supposed to be ok for all animals. I haven't read up on it yet but if it proves ok to get rid of that and other invasive plants I'll let you know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts