The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions as to what’s wrong. Three baby goats went down, fine and bouncing 11am. Down and dying at 4:30pm. One girl from a set from twins, other twin perfectly fine. And then two twins that are brothers. The girl is 7 weeks, boys 3 weeks. Rushed to the vet, girl died within minutes of being there and went downhill quickly. Vet did blood work which came back perfectly normal. Fecal 100% clean, necropsy done on the one that died. Everything looks perfect. One of the twins is struggling a lot, other is doinf okay. Vet gave iv fluids, and set us home with them, steroids, antibiotics, pain meds, the vet is stumped and it’s the best bet in the state. Any ideas? They thought poisoning but nothing showed up on blood work or necropsy but they did treat for poisoning. Open to suggestions as we try to not lose this boy who’s struggling. We’re stumped, vets are stumped.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. It could be many different things.

What symptoms does your current kid have? What’s his temp?

Have you vaccinated for CDT? Did they check for signs or did any testing for enterotoxemia during the necropsy?

Pneumonia was also ruled out?

Have they had access to moldy hay or grain?

Have you done anything different within the last couple weeks?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very sorry to hear this. It could be many different things.

What symptoms does your current kid have? What’s his temp?

Have you vaccinated for CDT? Did they check for signs or did any testing for enterotoxemia during the necropsy?

Pneumonia was also ruled out?

Have they had access to moldy hay or grain?

Have you done anything different within the last couple weeks?
the two that are still alive. Dumbo, the worse ones symptoms are extremely weak, can barely stand on his own, heavy breathing, and that’s about it. The other twin that’s still Alice, Mickey who’s doingbetter then his brother but not normal. Is weak, and out of it.

the oldest girl who died had been vaccinated for cdt since she was 7 weeks, she had her second dose 3 days ago actually. The twin boys still alive haven’t been vaccinated yet but the mom had a booster and they are just three weeks old on Friday. They were due to get it this week actually. The vet didn’t see any signs of enterotomemia on the necropsy.

They said the living twins lungs sound clear and the one that died, on the necropsy the lungs looked slightly wet but they said that was probably just from her dying but they did give the living two a antibiotic for it. Just in case.
No moldy hay or grain. They do get grain daily but it’s always checked and fresh. They get hay but it’s fresh and it’s the same hay they’ve eaten all winter.

nothing different this last few weeks at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope the boys make it.
Thank you. We’re just trying to figure out what happened and get some answers. We have 12 other babies that are acting perfectly fine that are fed the same, given the same dose and everything of the cdt. All same father and different dams. We just don’t know

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they bottle babies? If so, what milk are you using?
They were on their dam since birth. Mom isn’t wanting to let dumbo, the one who’s really struggling nurse so we’re working o a bottle and syringe feeding him. Probably gonna tube him. Since mom won’t feed the one we’re giving him frozen goats milk we had saved from a doe previous this year.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,186 Posts
One suggestion. My vetput my struggling little doeling in 1 pt of milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 TBS of caro syrup. Shake to mix. Give 4 oz every 2 hours. She got some strength from it. Please check & make sure little ones are urinating & pooping. Very important.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One suggestion. My vetput my struggling little doeling in 1 pt of milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 TBS of caro syrup. Shake to mix. Give 4 oz every 2 hours. She got some strength from it. Please check & make sure little ones are urinating & pooping. Very important.
They’re popping and peeing fine. The stronger one a lot more then the struggling one but they both are. We can’t tube feed him every two hours, the vet told us not more then three times a day because of the possible risks and damage especially since it’s our first time and he won’t nurse or take a bottle

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
How do tummies feel before dieing? Squishy, watery or hard? To me it sounds like coccidia or Enterotoxemia. I know the necropsy ruled that out but I would get cd antitoxin asap and keep in hand to give first sign of trouble. Even if not Enterotoxemia it may help. Cd&t isn't as effective in kids under weening age as they don't have their own fully functional immune system. On Coccidia, Are they on prevention? If so what are you using?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do tummies feel before dieing? Squishy, watery or hard? To me it sounds like coccidia or Enterotoxemia. I know the necropsy ruled that out but I would get cd antitoxin asap and keep in hand to give first sign of trouble. Even if not Enterotoxemia it may help. Cd&t isn't as effective in kids under weening age as they don't have their own fully functional immune system. On Coccidia, Are they on prevention? If so what are you using?
squishy probably. Fecal came back negative for any coccidia or worms of any kind. If was 100% clean. They are on corid for prevention at three weeks, 6 weeks,9 weeks and 12 weeks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Very sorry for your losses. There is definitely something missing from the puzzle that may have been overlooked. I hope this will just be a fluke for you, and you won’t experience it again.

I definitely agree to get some CDT antitoxin on hand in case you see these symptoms again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.