The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am very new to goats. I just bought a herd of six 5 weeks ago. One mature buck, one yearling buck and four mature does. Boer breed, but two of the does have at least some nubian. One of the does had a kid 4 weeks ago tommorow. Up until this evening all has been well with the flock, but I came home from work to find the new mother down and not interested in feeding. She normally won't let me pet her, so when I could kneel down next to her and pet her I knew something was up. I palpatated her belly and looked for any obvious signs of external trauma. found none. unfortuantly it was already dark when I got home, so giving her a thorough looking over was tough. The rest of the flock all seems healthy, but I am very worried about her and her kid. She did get up and walk around for a minute after 3 or 4 minutes of me poking and prodding, but then went back and laid in the same spot. I tried checking her out a second time a few minutes ago and the only time she responded was when i pushed her udder. She swung her head around and looked irritated. Only other sign that I could see was that her area around her bottom was wet, not bloody or anything, but wet enough that a bunch of dirt has collected on the fur all around. They did get introduced to a new pasture today as well. IDK if that makes a difference. I know I've got a lot to learn, but I don't know what to do. Does a 1 month old kid need immediate bottle feeding? what else should i be looking for in the morning? Any and all advise is greatly appreiciated. TIA

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
You really need to take her temperature. I would also give her a shot of B Complex and some Probios. I would also get some C&D Antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia into her.

Is she bloated? Any other signs? What color are the inside of her eyelids? Have they been wormed at all? Could there be any poisonous plants in your new field?

I would offer her kid a bottle or try and get mom up for kid to nurse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not wormed them as the other three does are all pregnant and I figured I'd wait till they had their kids. IDK which wormer would be safe for them right now.

Unfortuantly i will have to wait till tommorow to get the supplies as I am an hour away from anything. I will get the b complex and probios at ts, I'm assuming they have them. also a bottle and formula. I assume that her temp must be taken rectally? If so will a normal thermometer for human use work, or do i need something specific to stock?
Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also IDK which native plants may be poisonous to goats so if someone could direct me to a list for florida I would apprecite it. will be looking on my own but any help would be greatly appreciated.
She is not bloated and I'm afraid to shine a flashlight directly into her eyes to check for color, but I will definatly check first thing in the am unless it's ok to check withy a flashlight??

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Just whole cow milk from the store is fine. Don't get the replacer from TSC. Get Ivomec or Ivomec Plus injectable and worm her at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. You will need to buy needles/syringes to get the liquid out but take the needle off when you give it orally. Get fortified B Complex if you can. You can also get Pritchard nipples which are red nipples on yellow screw cap. Those fit a 20 ounce Pepsi product bottle.

Yes, you can use a human thermometer and it does need to go rectally. I just buy the cheap digital thermometers in the baby section.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Can you get a fecal to a vet? That will tell you if she has any worms and what kind, so at least you can rule it out, if nothing else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just found a list and I don't think there are any poisinous plants, but their are some cottonmouths near the pond sometimes, but kinda cold for them today

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet I've got the ivomectin injectible already for the cows/dogs along with plenty of syringes/needles. will get nipples and fortified b complex tommorow
thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definatley take a slide tommorow and check it with my scope, but can't get a sample to the vet till monday. Hopefully I can find some reference pictures online.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Hows your doe?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Fiasco Farm has some reference pictures online if you are doing your own fecals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok no easy task but her temp is 103. Her rectum is clearly inflamed and when I removed the thermometer a stream of brown liquid followed about 30cc I would say. Looked like diareha as opposed to discharge. The inside of her eyelids are white so I assume that means she's anemic. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. I'll dose her with ivomectin tonight, the get the b complex and probios tommorow. Should I let her kid nurse at all? That is assuming she gets up tommorow. What should i give her to fight the anemia? Also I don't see much chance of getting a fecal sample unless she eats tommorow and I'm going to have to find some way to get her rehydrated...any suggestions? I've never had to do any of this on a goat before! Also I'm assuming I need to worm the rest of the flock?? I do have some wormer with rumatel in it that I can top dress their feed with. Sorry for so many questions, but even though these goats are new to my farm I really do love them and want to get them all healthy.
Thanks!!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
You're doing a great job. Worms can take a goat down fast, and this year has been a horrible one for worms. At this point, she is in serious trouble, and if you can't get a fecal I'd worm her with Ivermectin. I'd also be giving her red cell to replenish her blood cells, and b-complex or thiamine. I really hope she pulls through for you! Check the eyelids of your other goats. They may need worming too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hope you have luck with her. I had two nannies go down on me few months back and I lost both of mine. But sounds like you caught it fast my last one was fine one afternoon next day mid day found her laying down in front pen and her back end was nasty with diarrhea got her up and gave her what meds I had and by next day she had died. I never did find out what caused it and everyone else is fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Worming is a good idea...as the anemia indicate worm load..Ivomec is 1 cc per 40# sub Q. If you have Ivomec Plus this would be better since it also covers Liver fluke..
as Threehaven suggested do a check up on all your goats..
To treat Anemia..

Red Cell 6 cc per 100# orally daily for a week..DOuble dose day one, then once a week until color returns...this could take a few weeks...
Vit. B 12 daily or B comples PLUS which has plenty of 12 in it
Alfalfa and green leaves to get her eating and once she is pooping berries, High protien feed..this will help her rebuild her red blood cells
Mix 50/50 ACV and water and dose 20 CC daily orally, this should help speed up recovery

I would also be giving her C D Antitoxin and Pepto until her poop thickens..

Personally, unless her udder is tight, I wouldnt nurse thebaby or milk her..I would wait until she has some of her strength back..once sheis standing and eating well, hopfully her milk will be there..if not whole cows milk is a good replacer

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hope she pulls through for you, I also had one go down fast and I was very new at the time as well and I had to do physical therapy with her to get her legs moving again because she was down for weeks without getting up. Make sure you make your girl get up. Wishing you much luck during this hard time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for all your help. Unfortuantly she did not survive the night. And now my large male is showing signs of weakness and has diareha. So until I can get the vet out here I will be using your suggestions and giving him and probably the rest of the flock a good course of supplements and they will all get ivermectin today. No matter how long I've been keeping animals, losses like this still hurt. I will definetly be using this forum to do a lot of research on my new friends so hopefully with your help, I can avoid tragedies like this in the future.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I so very sorry!!! No its doesnt get easier!! :(

What color is your bucks poop? dark brown to black can be cocci or worm load..green tinited couldbe dietary..here is a link that discusses poop color and what is can be...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.Um0Ve5Rxte4

keep watch on the inner lower eye lids for anemia...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Um0V85Rxte4

Start him on daily Fortified B complex and C D Antitoxin pepto to sooth his tummy and help dry him...Keep him hydrated...feed green leaves and hay..no feed

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts