The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a month and a half old doeling whose mother, I believe, may have weaned her already. This kid has always been on the runty side. Her mom is the lousy one that wouldn't feed her kids for her newborns' first few days (on a past thread).
I haven't taken her temp, but I'm pretty sure she has a heavy parasite load and lice. I wormed her with valbazen a few weeks ago and dusted her because she was weak and had lice. She improved until today. She is too weak to stand on her front legs. I gave her valbazen, b- complex, baking soda, some oral vitamin supplement, some Selenium/E gel. She ate some alfalfa pellets, some grass, drank some water. She has pooped and peed. Okay what next?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Are you bottle feeding the doeling? Have you been weighing her to see if she is gaining weight? Have you done a fecal yet?

I would get a temp on her. I would also have a fecal done and make sure they include coccidia.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Her temp is 101.0. I can get a fecal tomorrow, but her poop and pee seem normal. She is grinding her teeth so I gave her a baby aspirin. And now I'm wondering can she have pneumonia without having a snotty nose or coughing? I just gave her 6ml of power punch.
I am not bottle feeding her nor have I been I suspect her mom hasn't fed her because she walks away (anytime I am looking) when her kid tries to feed. I just can't watch them 24/7 so I don't know what they do when I'm not looking. I have been picking her up daily, just to feel if she is getting heavier and she is, but not much. Her herdmates the same age are twice her size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This baby is what 6 weeks old? Maybe start bottle feeding.
She is way too young not to
be having milk. :)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Grinding teeth is gut pain...3 cc C D Antitoxin sub Q is needed or Milk of Magensia ...Hold mom and MAKE HER feed the doe...she needs milk! Her temp is a bit low..keep her warm and keep her temp above 100 ..if it drops below that then she wont be able to digest the milk...Keep her hydrated ...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Yes she can have pneumonia without the normal symptoms but I really suspect her problem really goes back to not getting enough nutrition which leads into the other problems. If she isn't getting enough and hasn't been for a while, it will catch up and then they just can't go on anymore.

She really needs to have her temp brought back up and then start bottle feeding or going out there on a regular basis and making mom nurse her.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is up and walking around, eating hay and alfalfa pellets. I have been feeding her a little bit of milk by bottle every few hours today. She has had maybe an ounce. Making mom feed her is out of the question... just trust me on that. I'll just keep up with the whole milk.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Whole milk is fine..as long as she is getting milk ;)..to know how much to feed ...get her weight ,, then Multiply that by 16 to get it in oz's...multiply that by 10% to see how much she needs in a 24 hour period then divide into 4 feedings....

I wouldnt give milk however if her temp is not above 100 degrees....if she is still grinding her teeth she needs the 3 cc cd antitoxin or MOM, maybe about 6-8 cc

best wishes

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is still up and eating, took about an ounce of milk and she stopped grinding her teeth a few hours ago. Right now she is cuddling with my oldest daughter... in the house of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts