The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A Nanny that is little bit over a year old. I noticed she has diarrhea. I gave her 3 CC of pepto and the next day I gave her some warmer. My nanny will get up to eat and then lay back down. I already lost a baby from the same thing I think. What should I do next that is cheaper than a vet. I prefer not to take her to the vet.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I would at least take a fecal sample in to the vet and have them test it and include coccidia. My bet is on some type of parasite. If she is down like that, she has a bad case. It is better to know which parasites and treat appropriately.

If you don't do that then you need to get Safeguard, Ivomec Plus and DiMethox to treat her for all parasites possible.

Safeguard liquid is dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs or paste is triple the horse dose and done 3 days in a row. Then follow up with another 3 days 2 weeks after.

Ivomec Plus needs to be injected SQ at 1cc per 40 lbs and do 3 injections 10 days apart.

DiMethox should be done at 1cc per 5 lbs on day 1 and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2 thru 5. This is oral.

Your goat is very bad off and needs treatment soon. I can guarantee it is parasites too.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree with Karen..also check her lower inner eye lids for color..they should be very pink to red..if they are pale you will need to include anemia treatment as well...Anemia will weaken a goat so this is important to treat..if not even with treating the worms she could still die from anemia...here is alink to show you how to check her eyes
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Uiy1lGSDTL8

To treat anemia you will need red cell 6 cc per 100# double dose day one then reg. dose for a week then once a week until you see color...Vit. B 12 will help her rebuild her red blood cells as will high protien feed, alflafa and green leaves...keep her hydrated is very important as well..here is a good home made recipe to try..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or the molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Your welcome. Hows your doe?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Hows your doe?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for asking. She is still not doing well. The past two days we gave her the Ivomec Plus paste twice and gave her a crap load of electrolytes twice a day. She is still weak and the bottom of her eyes are white. I am about to go to the store and buy Safeguard, and DiMethox to give her. I thought we had it and could not find it.

I have some goat Penicillin and Goat vac Clostridium Perfringens Types C & D Teranus Toxold. Should I give her this?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree with Karen..CD&T is not going ot benefit her right now and she already is stressed..also I would not worm her again right now..allow time for the wormer she had to work..if she still needs to be wormed ( via fecal ) or in ten days no improvment, switch to Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q or if she is not bred and you prefer oral..valbazen 1 cc per 10# ...
Treat her for anemia as stated above...treating the worm load..and treating the anemia..these goes hand in hand...Offer her the green leaves and alfalfa no feed until she poops berries ect....
keep her hydrated ...it takes time to gain strength again...you can dose her with Daily B comple and Probiotics ...

best wishes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,

We gave her the Safeguard, and DiMethox like Ksalvagno said to do. We also gave her Red Cell Rich. She hated all of this stuff.

Are yall saying to stop giving her the Safeguard and Ivomec Plus.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Did you take a fecal sample in to the Vet/ You might be dealing with Cocci and that is a totally different ball game.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Yes...If you are treating strikly for worms..then yes..no more wormer right now..let what you gave do its job...the reason we would use both safeguard and Ivomec is for Mineangle worm (deer worm) which you would need to do daily for 7 days..along with an anti-infammintory. I dont think that is what her problem is...
AS for the Dimethix, that is for cocci and needs to be done for 5 days straight..so finish that ...
I would have a fecal done and see how your wormer you gave worked...over taxing her system is very stressful...

Keeping her hydrated, keeping up with her Anemia treatment, offering her leaves and alfalfa and hay to keep her eating and get her rumen up and going well along with porbios would do her a world of good right now...

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
If you are in the middle of doing the 5 days of Safeguard and DiMethox, then finish the treatment. Please don't stop mid-treatment. That will only build resistance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, Thanks. I will call my vet and see if they would take a fecal test from me. I will keep up the Safeguard and DiMethox for 5 days. I will let you know how she is doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the vet tells me she has Cocci. What do I do then. Last time I had a 4 month old that had it and it was a hermaphrodite. Yes a hermaphrodite. The vet just cut off the penis, cut a slit where it can pee, gave it some warmer, gave it a penicillin shot and gave me a IV bag so I could give it to her. one month later she was dead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called my vet and some odd reason they told me I have to bring the goat up there. I am guessing so they can make more $$$$$. When we looked out side and observed our Nanny eating. After giving her her DiMethox, Cell Rich she got right up bagging away, walked about twenty five yards got her some water and came back to us. Then she got the rest of her meds. After we left her she got back up and moved to a different place. We can see a different all ready in the third day.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Thats great news....sounds like she feels a lot better...
you should not have take the goat with you for a fecal exam...I would just gather some fresh goat poop in a baggie and take it in...tell them you would like a fecal and to include cocci check..Maybe the person who answered the phone didnt understand what was needed...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts