The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of 5 year old twin does. They are kept in a large pen and fed a diet primarily of hay.

One of them was found laying down unable to get up Thursday night. I am in extreme trouble financially, so I thought I would try some home remedies. It looked me like she was bloated so I gave her some baking soda. Later I gave her some vegetable oil and she had some good deep burps.

She can't even hold up her head, though she can turn it. She's laying on her side, and I'm turning her every two hours. When I turn her over I've been offering her baking soda and hay. I have some goat electrolytes that I've been mixing up and giving to her with a large turkey baster. I lean her up against me to get her upright for 10 to 15 minutes while I pat her to try and help her burp.

She has a good appetite. I'm going to a feed store tomorrow to get her some vitamin B and dewormer. The inside of her eyelid is pale pink. Is it all right to give her dewormer when she's so weak? Is there something I should try that I haven't tried?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Does she have any swelling under her jaw (bottlejaw)? I am not the best person for trying to help with this type of problem. I would start with getting some B complex into her--injectable is best. If you think she is anemic, get either Red Cell or injectable iron and give that to her. And...take her temperature. Low temp could mean that she has rumen problems. High temp could mean infection or virus.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
Make sure she stays upright/sternal.
Use hay bales on each side of her or something which can help her stay upright.

What is her temp and lower eyelid coloring?

Is her rumen working? Listen to and try to feel for ruminate sounds and movement on left side.

As mentioned, start fortified vit b complex SQ. 6 cc’s per 100lbs.

Are her eyes twitching/darting?
Is her head rolled back into her flank or side?

This goat really needs a vet as soon as possible, I am afraid to say. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[
Her temperature was 100° yesterday evening.

I live in a very urban area, no deer here. Both goats live in a large pen, I don't see how it's possible for her to have gotten into something poisonous.

She's pooping normally.

When I checked her eyelids last night they were pale pink.

She's very floppy. She'll kick her legs a little when I roll her over, but she can't hold her head up at all. Someone suggested propping her up, but I don't know what to do with her head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been checking her for bloat. When I'm massage her left side there's just a little bit of gas, it's soft. Her rumen feels like slightly softened clay.

I don't know what it's supposed to feel like, is that normal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone on another board suggested I feed her a mixture of blackstrap molasses and yogurt with a clove of minced garlic and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I gave her 30 cc last night and she seemed to love it. Is it okay for her?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just checked her temperature, 99.4°. Her left eye was slightly out of sync with her right, which scared me to death. I think it might have been from laying on her right side overnight. Once I got some water and food into her and propped her up against me for a few minutes, they were both working fine again.

She still grabbing at hay when I bring it near her mouth. I gathered her some fresh leaves and she liked that even more.

Her back legs looked a little stiff, but when I pressed on the hooves they moved normally. She pushed back against me with her back legs. Her front legs seem more loosey-goosey. Her head still flops on her neck.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'd say she needs a fecal done asap could be worms we lost our Nola like this! A fecal shouldn't be too expensive it's like $20 for me at the vet and they should do it right away! I know it's Sunday, but maybe try them and explain the emergency I personally would try to get her in to be examined.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
Her temp is low and needs to come up, her rumen may be shutting down.
Can you make a sling for her to get up off her legs? For short sessions of massage and moving her legs?

I am wondering if it is spinal injury.
Do you have any large animals sharing the area with her?

She really needs a vet I am afraid, to have any chance. :(

It could be many different things.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
To keep her upriggt. Use a hay bale or a heavy blanket rolled up. Or lean her against a wall. She should not be flat at all or her rumen can not function proper.
Her temp is dropping which could be her rumen is off. So let's figure out how to keep her upright. Her head may flop to one side..that is ok..we need her body upright.
Give her a shot of B complex plex asap. As mentioned above. 5 to 6 cc every 6 hours. This is not a painful shot. Use 22 g needles is fine. Go sub q.
She needs a vet and I know that can cost but she seems critical. In the mean time..
Keep browse food and hay in front of her to munch as much as she wants. Make electrolytes or add a bit of acv and a plop of molasses in cool water and take to her to drink often. Don't leave it near her as if she has no control over her head..we dont want an accident.
Give her goat specific probiotics. The molasses snd yogurt mix is fine a few times but we don't want too much molasses to cause scours. So keep an eye on her poop. Plain Greek yogurt is a good probiotics sub in a pinch too. Garlic is great stuff.
Need a fecal to know what going on there but pale lids is anemia and so that needs addressing with iron supplement such as red cell.
What dewormer do you have handy?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Get some flat room temperature dark beer and drench her. It will help kick start her rumen again. When a goats temp drops too low their rumen shuts down. Yes, you need to get the fecal and treat her with vitamin b complex and also all the other great suggestions. It sounds like your doe is in a bad way, prop her up under a heat lamp too so she doesn’t have to expend too much extra energy trying to warm herself.
I Truely hope she recovers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I lay down for a minute and wound up passing out for four hours (a rough few days) I'll see what I can rig up to get her upright. Do I need to get her on her feet, or is just laying down in an upright position going to work?

If I figure out a way to lean her up against a fence and keep her there, I could hook one of her horns through the wire. Would that be worse for her than letting her head just flop?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's about to start raining here, so I need to get her off the ground. She's under shelter but if it rains hard she's likely to get wet or the ground under her will turn to mud. I have a large low table that I keep in the shelter so they can get up out of the rain. I think I'm going to need to enlist some neighbors to get her up onto it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think I mentioned that I am a 62 year old woman who's not in the best of health. I'm having to manage this on my own.

I used a winch to get her up on the table. After the thunderstorms have passed I can use that to get her upright. I'm going to try to lean her up against the side of the shelter (cattle panel and tarp) for now.

I have to take a break and eat something first. I'm running on fumes and this is really physical.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts