The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a last effort to get some information from people who can actually read what I write.

Long story short, we ended up with a two week old boer kid almost two weeks ago.

We got her home and everything went well for about five days. She was on a milk replacer. We have since switched to whole/buttermilk mix, after input from others.

She went "down" about five days ago. So 3 weeks exactly. The day before she had been very wobbly, but could still move. When she went down, she was very bloated and constipated. We did the baking soda mix twice, and someone else suggested milk of magnesia. Then she was on to severe diarrhea with no bloat (starting color was yellow-green, over time went to dark brown). Then someone told us to pepto her. Over a course of a couple of days, we balanced it out to where she is having large clumps of dark feces.

While she seems stabilized in that matter, she is still down on her side. She is more active, and seems to be able to pick her head up. She is sounding much more normal. But she is still down, and I'm at a loss as to how to get her back on her feet.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
sounds like her tummy was not digesting.... I would stop milk..give electrolytes with a pinch of baking soda...her tummy needs rest..so this for 12-24 hours...the MOM helped reduce the toxins building but also caused the runs...no more pepto just yet I woud give her C D antitoxin and B complex and Thiamine...once she is up and going well you can start milk again...this time go whole cows milk only weigh her and multiply that by 16 to get her weight in oz's then multiply that by 10% to see how much she needs in a day...then divide that by four feedings....

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I would be giving her mega doses of thiamine (get it from a vet), 3-4mls every 6 hours, a little banamine (once .5ml). My vet had me give cd/t shot, but, I agree with Cathy...get the antitoxin. Has she been treated for cocci? I would treat for that (sulmet, 1ml/5lbs day one, 1ml/10lbs day 1-5), or Baycox (1ml/5lbs one dose, again in 5-10 days if she's still scouring). We gave my kid with polio, antibiotics also, I was newbie when this happened and don't know if that was for the polio or in case of listeria.

How's your kid this morning? Prayers and good luck.

·
1,384 Posts
So if I am understanding you, she is taking a bottle, but is down on her side?
go easy on the bottles or make sure you are putting baking soda in each bottle. 1/4 teaspoon to maybe 1/2 teaspoon. It will taste salty and cause them to not drink the milk if you add too much.
Then you need thimain(as already mentioned) or at least B-complex shots. B-complex is OTC. Thiamin is Rx. I like the idea of B-complex because it is several of the B's but may not have high enough dosages of thiamin in it. You can give every 3 or 4 hours and you can't over dose on it.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
hows your baby this morning??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts