Drawing Blood for Health Tests - 1st timer needs advise.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SamanthaSillett, Jun 12, 2010.

1. SamanthaSillett

SamanthaSillett New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi Ya'll ... So happy to find an online community for goat enthusiasts! I have a few healthy and happy fainting goats which I've 'collected' the past couple of years. They are easily excited by treats and get so frustrated with their fainting when it's time for to come for their goodies. :)

I want to test them for CL, CAE, and Johne's disease. I've drawn blood on my horses, so have some experience.

What size needle is recommended? I know smaller ones go in easier, however, they can damage cells.
    How do I store the blood before sending in for tests?
    Where do I send the blood for testing? I live in WA State.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Samantha

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    18 or 20 gauge needles, 1-1.5" long.
    I believe you can store in the fridge if you aren't mailing asap. Don't ask how long, I don't know.
    If you're in WA already, it'll be faster and easier to send to WADDL. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/

Welcome to TGS :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct ^^
    you need the red top vaccutainer tubes to send the blood in

4. SamanthaSillett

SamanthaSillett New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks much for the info. I found everything else I need to know right on the WSU website.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to TGS :wave: looks like everyone else answered your questions already! Aren't fainters wonderful????? :)

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hey there! Where in wa are you? I do reg nigis with a few fainters also!

Since u r in wa - definately waddl! Cheaper rates and you can use the standard usps free vcr size box and mail prioruty forr less than 5.00. I usually draw on the weekend, mail monday, and have results on friday!

7. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    any one know if there is a place in cal where I can draw and send in blood ?

If I do it this way instead of going through a vet can I get certification for my herd ?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can send it to WADDL even if you are out of state.
    what kind of certification are you looking for?

9. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I was looking for a place in cali to see if it was a little cheaper price wise I think UC davis might but I havent really checked yet and a CAE/CL certified negetive herd.

10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    DRJ Ranch, Jimmy Dan Sims, I totally stole your quote for my fb status. That is so TRUE!!!

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    UC Davis is great.... they are really helpful and the vet is always available to answer questions which is nice. :)