dreams, thoughts & questions

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Gumtree, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I've been thinking about something, (yeah I can think sometimes)
    I've had an interest in photography for a while now, (started a freelance photography course a while ago....need to complete it.) but have been wondering just what part of photography to pursue, I'm not overly interested in running around the country taking photos for other people.....
    Here are my thoughts,

Printed:
    Postcards
    Business Cards
    Calendars ?
    Business Flyers
    all of those could be Custom.

Online Work
    either using my photos or your/their own
    Photo editing,
    like how hard is it to get a perfect photo of your Animal for your website,
    fixing up old photos, and making the not so good photo better/perfect
    Logo's
    Banners
    Website Photos
    ect ect

Here are some questions?
    Would you pay someone to do that,
    if so what sort of price would you pay
    Do you think the idea is hopeless, or is there some potential in it?

Any idea's, suggestions,

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe there is a market --- you just need to market your skill and your "business" well and it could be a nice side job that turns into more. Really just depends on your skill as well as how good you are at getting the word out consistently

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I think there is definitely a market for photography. Biggest thing is putting together a portfolio of your best work, and getting it noticed. Set up a perimeter of places you would be willing to travel to photograph and set a price for mileage and a fee for coming out, then you'd add the fees for whatever they are wanting.
    If your just starting out and not in high demand, keep yourself affordable but don't make it 'free.' You want to get yourself out there...and you have to start somewhere :)
    With that said, I don't know what you should charge, but make sure your getting your gas/mileage worth. If your not willing to do some traveling, someone else will get the job....But I'd say at least within an hour of where you live as long as you have dependable transportation.

I am into photography but not the same thing as what you want to get into. But still, photography is photography, and it's all about capturing that 'moment.'

I don't know a thing about doing the websites, as again that's not my 'territory.' I do some work for a website that provides images to different media outlets, I take my pictures, edit whatever needs editing, enter in all the required file information <this can be time consuming when you need an image uploaded ASAP>, specific file folder names then upload to the site.

I am totally into photographing horses - racehorses, show horses, sale horses, back yard pets, whatever :) Horses....hehe... and I've been dabling with my goats too just for fun.
    I live in the heart of horse country in the United States, and there is definitely a market here for photographers. Tricky thing is, these days everyone wants to be a photographer. So once you get your foot in the door...you gotta work to keep it there. And that goes with any kind of photography....
    If there are any events in your area, any that might be of interest to media, you could always give it a shot in photographing it. You can send your best pics to your local media outlets..... I know with ones I've worked with, some won't pay but others will pay $60 for one image <that's here in the US of course not sure abroad what they pay>.

Any animal shows? As long as your not stepping on another photographers toes at a show, then why not? You can get some experience, and who knows....you could work your way into taking pics for people at shows.

I don't do people....heh. But it's something I'd like to learn how to do. I have sports photographer friends that have been asked to do engagements, weddings, graduations, etc. and they make a lot of $$ doing it. That could be something you can do on the side, especially as you go along. You get someone that wants you to photograph their buck...and then later they may say 'hey do you do weddings?' hehe...I've had this happen, and did a girl's birthday party <so fancy you would have thought she was getting married LOL>.

Anyway, possabilities are endless, it just depends on what you really want to aim at achieving, and how far your willing to go.

Good Luck! :)

4. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    A lot of the stuff your suggesting is work that a graphic designer typically does. Business cards, websites, photo touch ups, etc. There can definitely be a market for that. I know because I used to do it. I charged $60 an hour and never got complaints on price. A portfolio is really important. You also will want to look into commercial printing in your area. Good luck and have fun!

5. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    thanks everyone :)