The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my PREGNANT girls has bottle jaw so I need to act on it but I was curious, ( in order to avoid more problems such as this) is it better to drench regularly or give a dewormer shot every 6 months or so. I’m using ivermectin by the way. Also, with barber pole worms is it better to use ivermectin or cydectin or both? Keep in mind she’s 2 months pregnant.
thanks.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,687 Posts
Do you know what dewormer has worked for your herd in the past? As far as ivermectin or cydectin goes, if one isn't working the other isn't likely to work for much longer either since they are both in the same class (clear dewormers). No dewormer should be given on a schedule. This is very important to slow the effects of dewormer resistance, so definitely don't give it every six months. I'm partial to giving ivermectin orally as there has been studies shown that it kills the worms better that way since they are in the digestive tract. It also is best orally because then it does not linger in their system and expose the worms to the drug for longer (again to help prevent resistance). Ivermectin is safe for pregnant does, I believe cydectin is too, but wait for someone to confirm that. Since the doe has such a high load to the point of bottle jaw, you would probably be wise to get her on some Red Cell too and give her access to blood building feeds, such as alfalfa hay or pellets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been giving her 2 iron tablets for a couple months now, because when I bought her she was slightly anemic. And I decided on that after consulting someone much older than me who has been caring for goats for a long time. But I do like to get multiple opinions. Does this bottle jaw mean that the iron hasn’t been working?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also ivermectin has worked in my herd. I’ve only been giving it when I see that their Famacha is getting low, so far. I thought maybe giving it regularly would be better.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does this bottle jaw mean that the iron hasn’t been working?
The bottle jaw means that your current parasite protocol is not working. The iron supplements you are giving may be beneficial for recovery from anemia, but they do little in controlling the barberpole worm. I would suggest having a fecal done pre-deworming, then follow up with another fecal post-deworming to evaluate the effectiveness or lack there of of your dewormer. For recovery from anemia, I would suggest giving red cell orally. In extreme cases, I give a shot of pig iron and b complex until FAMACHA improves.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent in her fecal yesterday, it’ll come in sometime soon but I can’t get the red cell from co op or tractor supply because they are closed for thanksgiving. Do you think this can wait another day? Do barber pole worms move generally quickly?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since co op and tractor supply are closed is there anything I can do for her right now?

·
Registered
896 Posts
You should deworm with whatever you have asap. Make sure you use the recommended dose www.vet.cornell.edu has a chart with recommended dosages. Also if you can't get red cell today, you can give some blackstrap molasses as it contains iron. Has she developed any diarrhea or runny nose?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No diarrhea no runny nose. A few of her feces stick together and They aren’t as dark as they should be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should deworm with whatever you have asap
If I deworm now with the ivermectin shot (which is all I have on hand at the moment) will I be able to give her a drench tomorrow when co op opens again?

·
Registered
896 Posts
It's preferred to give it orally unless it's ivermec pour on...use the chart I linked for dosage. You can deworm with another class of dewormer at the same time....i wouldn't use valbazen on a pregnant doe early in pregnancy. As far as drenching, what are u planning on drenching with?

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
If the goat is anemic with bottle jaw I would not give injectable orally. Booster oral is fine. Inject rate is 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q. Oral is 1 cc per 33 pounds.
Bottle jaw is a reaction to anemia. Over deworming is not helpful. Be sure to wait 10 days between boostering dewormer unless you feel a different deworming family is needed, then dose and wait two days before boosting it.

Anemia protocol is
Red cell or injectable iron
B 12 or B complex Plus
30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv/water
High parotien foods and feed. Browse, pine, cedar, vines and leaves from safe plants.

·
Super Moderator
14,810 Posts
If the goat is anemic with bottle jaw I would not give injectable orally. Booster oral is fine. Inject rate is 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q. Oral is 1 cc per 33 pounds.
Bottle jaw is a reaction to anemia. Over deworming is not helpful. Be sure to wait 10 days between boostering dewormer unless you feel a different deworming family is needed, then dose and wait two days before boosting it.

Anemia protocol is
Red cell or injectable iron
B 12 or B complex Plus
30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv/water
High parotien foods and feed. Browse, pine, cedar, vines and leaves from safe plants.
Yes! And the reason why you want to go with injectable over orally in her case is because orally can kill the parasites off very fast. In a case where the load is not overly high it’s not such a big deal, but in her case, probably having a high load and being anemic, it’s just going to make more problems with her and possibly kill her.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I went to the store trying to find ivermectin drench and red cell and found neither. Apparently ivermectin is slipping through the stores like butter. The only oral ivermectin I could lay hands on was this horse dewormer. Can you guys help me with the dosage?
Blue Writing implement Pen Tool Office supplies

Blue Light Azure Textile Line
Product Blue Azure Textile Woolen

Automotive tire Textile Grey Finger Denim

Clothing Jeans Outerwear Automotive tire Textile

Denim Woolen Electric blue Wool Pattern

Blue Light Azure Tool Line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts