Drenching Drama!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, May 29, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    My goat hate drenching, ususally i get it all over me, what is the proper way to drench ( i may be doing it wrong?) and how do i help my goats from coughing it up all over me? thanks alot

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What are you using to drench them with? Do you have the special drenching syringe with the curved metal tip?

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have those drenching syringes from Jeffer- they are really easier to use. But I did use regular syringes for awhile- I put it the side of the mouth and put it as far back on the tongue as I could and squirted a little bit then wait for a swallow then more, etc.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes i'm using the nice ones with the curved syringe. i give her a little she coughs it up, doesnt like it, and she's bloated right now... and :hair:!! thanks for the help.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stick it in her mouth on the side - i like the right as i am right handed. THen put the nosel down her throat and squirt. Hold the mouth closed till she swollows at least most of it.

Unless it is a liquid (try thinning it out) you will wear a lot of it

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Oh- I forgot to mention- I don't hold the head up- I try to hold it level. I think if it's tilted up it tends to cause more problems swallowing. Then I hold the chin level with a finger on the throat- when I feel the swallow I give more.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes keeping the head level is important. It is so easy to want to pull it up because they are struggling.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Goats are easy for me I think because when I was young, drenching was the way to get many medicines into horses. The vet would leave you with this powder or that and you would have to get it into the horse by putting in a bottle, lifting the horses head so it was level than pouring the drench in little by little. I can remember trying to hold a giant horse head with my arm straight up in the air until I couldn't hold any more, then having the drench all come back on the top of my head as their head came down if they hadn't swallowed. Goats are easy- really easy. Oh so easy.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have watched my cousin drench her horse --- yup goats are so much easier