The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound petty, but here goes. We had a bit of a cold snap here, so since we have a multi fuel stove, it will burn cherry pits , Rye, distillers grain, shelled corn, wood pellets, I opted to pick up 450 pounds of corn. Because out of the regionally available fuels corn produces the most but’s. Now of course temps are now in the mid 60’s.

Now I am sitting on about 400 pounds of corn that I would like to keep from going bad for next Winter. It’s in 50 pound paper bags. Any ideas on how to keep it from being destroyed?

From what I understand there is often some type of bug that breaks down the corn over time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
5 gallon buckets, mylar storage bags, oxygen digester packs. These should all be available a Walmart.
Fill the bags with corn and put in digestive pack, vacuum out the air, seal and cover with bucket lid.
It will keep for 30 years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 gallon buckets, mylar storage bags, oxygen digester packs. These should all be available a Walmart.
Fill the bags with corn and put in digestive pack, vacuum out the air, seal and cover with bucket lid.
It will keep for 30 years.
thank you. I hate to sound like I am being cheap, but it tears me up to waste things. Will the oxygen digester kill the insects?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
^^^yes!^^^ I keep my whole wheat this way. I have 300 lbs of organic white wheat that I grind to make bread. I use food grade buckets ordered from Lowe’s with 5gal Mylar bags and (2) 250cc O2 absorbers in them. I also use gamma lids so I can reuse the buckets instead of having a lid not seal well. It works great. I also keep my favorite Jasmine rice this way. (I got great bulk prices...)
Watch YouTube on sealing the Mylar with an iron and a piece of wood across the top of the bucket. Been doing It for years.
Buy good mylar bags though, some of the ones on Amazon or other places are thin. You can check them by going in a dark closet and shining a flashlight in the bag if you see pin holes Of light, then they will let moisture in.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^yes!^^^ I keep my whole wheat this way. I have 300 lbs of organic white wheat that I grind to make bread. I use food grade buckets ordered from Lowe's with 5gal Mylar bags and (2) 250cc O2 absorbers in them. I also use gamma lids so I can reuse the buckets instead of having a lid not seal well. It works great. I also keep my favorite Jasmine rice this way.
Watch YouTube on sealing the Mylar with an iron and a piece of wood across the top of the bucket. Been doing It for years.
Buy good mylar bags though, some of the ones on Amazon or other places are thin. You can check them by going in a dark closet and shining a flashlight in the bag if you see pin holes Of light, then they will let moisture in.
very much appreciated. Corn is up $2.00 a bushel around here. Makes me feel a lot better knowing it can be used next winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
The things that kill food the quickest are light, temperature (heat) and moisture. When trying to store anything you want to save take those things away and they’ll last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts