drinking water

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, Jun 15, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    It is difficult to tell if the kids are drinking water. Heck, I barely ever notice my adult goats drinking water.

Does it seem likely that if they are eating grain, hay, and browsing, that they aren't drinking water from the bucket? If they are drinking, it isn't a lot. They are still getting two bottles a day but we're cutting down the amounts fed.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use small buckets so I can see the water level drop -- can you try that?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I too use small buckets, actually, with the weather being warmer, I have had to put a 4 gallon bucket along with 2 two gallon buckets into my girls pens, my bucks also have a 4 gallon bucket. Since I fill them around 5 am and again after work at 2, I know they are drinking as I'm refilling again around 9pm.

With kids it's hard to tell unless you spend a good deal of time with them, my babies would drink after they had a round of running and playing, then all those little faces would be in the "short" buckets.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto....the bucket does work.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    And wet little ear tips! :wink:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We put a line on ours and fill it up to the line. Then if they drink any you'll know because it'll be under the line. :)

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I too use small buckets......easier to fill and carry out to barn! I re-fill 2 - 3x's daily......I have buckets out in the yard for them and one inside each pen inside barn. I notice mine drink a lot in the morning first thing and then when I go out to barn in a.m. I can tell they drink a lot during the night as level is always way down! They also come running when they see me carrying out fresh water, it is like a game with them to see who gets to the fresh water and gets the first gulp! Silly goats!