Drug Storage Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lovespud, May 18, 2010.

1. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I'm going to purchase full bottles of Bo-Se, Oxytocin and Epinephrine from an online source. Hopefully the Bo-Se is the only one I will ACTUALLY use. Just wondering, since I only have 2 goats (but our doe is due in 3 weeks) and won't be using much, can I use the same bottle for a long time? Should I refrigerate it? Any other info would be great as well! Thanks.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Actually for your numbers I would just get a few doses each drawn up from your vet.
    It is more expensive that way but on the other hand you wont be throwing out whole bottles of stuff in the future. :wink:

BoSe is frigegated after opening. Most stuff has about a yr shelf life.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Nancy said, plus things like oxytocin are used only in case of extreme emergency. Epinephrine is good to keep on hand though, I've never had to use mine though.

4. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I tried to contact a vet about getting small doses and I was told by her receptionist that there was no way they could do that, "it won't keep" etc.. She was very rude and basically said " just call if you have an emergency". So I decided to just get it for myself. Now I know what goat people are talking about when it comes to finding goat vets ( this one is mostly cattle and horses).

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That's too bad. Do you know any goat folks around that you could buy some doses off? Just a suggestion.
    I have enough of a working relationship with my vet that I can just call for meds.
    If you have worked with the vet, call back. I have called & the desk was hesitant. Then I just showed up.
    "Is Dr so & so in? I would like to speak with him/her." I got what I needed.

The place is now mostly cattle & horses. No goat vets.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have 3 vets "around" me that will accept goats. I go to the one that's almost an hour away. He's more comfortable around them and he does his best not to keep them. I even go into surgery with them if need be. Plus he's cheaper than any of the chain clinics around. He'll tell me what's worth the money and what's not worth crap. He does not pull any punches. (it's funny to see someone come in with a little yapping field goal and look at one of my big goats on a leash in the lobby.) :laugh:

Gina