Dry, consistent couugh.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by citylights, Mar 28, 2010.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thgis came up under another thread, but Ithnought I'd start this new one to address coughing specifically...

I have had goats in the past who appear perfectly healthy but have a persistent, hacking cough. No other symptoms presented. I've had vets tell me in the past that it's scar tissue, allergies, dust, whatever. FInally one vet told me long ago to use some eyedrops I had with a steroid in it and drip them down the goats' noses. Well, that can be expensive...

So last week, I hada vet out and she helped me figure out the following formula ---

First she suggested Robitussin to see if that would allieve the cough or ----

a 5 to 10% Dexamethasone solution. Dex is a prescription drug, but you'd only need a syringe full, I'd think. So you would mix 5-10 cc's of dex to 100 cc's of saline and drip it down their nose twice a day. I'm going to use the 5%, and I wouldn't use on a pregnant doe.... but it has worked int he past for me and I'm going to give it a try.

This is not for a sick animal, one with anyother symptoms such off feed or snotty noses or temp, but it may be worth a try.....

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Denise for posting this......I want to try this on one one little guy that coughs just a bit since last spring when he had Pasturella..... my vet did have me give them all a vacc this week for Pasturella, it was drops up the nose.....he says he likes it better.....he gave it to my boys last year also after bringing the one little guy home with pasturella and my 2 older boys never caught it.

I might try this next for my little one!

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    There is a pasturella vaccine that is a nasal drop? I only have the injectable??

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jess.....I don't want to cause arguments here about this, but my vet really likes this vacc....it is (I believe) TVS II.....it is a bovine vacc, my vet swears by it. Last year I brought home a 12 week old wether with pnuemonia (my ignorance), which I'm almost sure the vet used the exact word Pasturella, I also heard him say shipping fever going into pnuemonia (it was a bad week and is a bit of a blur now).....anyway, my other little 12 week old came down with it in a matter of days...... my vet had me give my other 2 older (1yr olds) wethers this vacc to try and keep them from getting it and they never got it.......so we used it again this year on all 4 boys. I have been told by some (strongly) that this vacc does not work for goats.....so we shall see :shrug: .
    http://www.pfizerah.com You can check out pfizer's site....they are the makers of the TVS II.

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If the cough is not causing harm to the goat, I'd pass on using the Dex as an adjunct cough suppressant.

Dexamethasone is not a drug I'd want to administer on a regular or long-term basis. As you probably know, it's an immuno-suppressant. It virtually turns off the immune system. My doc always advised that I either rush to the hospital or call 911 whenever we used it as there's no way to tell where my/my son's immune system would be when it wore off. Still in full blown anaphylaxis or ???? Long-term and/or frequent use can leave one particularly vulnerable to infection. I'm sure that would also apply to goats. Ditto all the nasty side effects.

How often are you administering the nasal drops w/Dex?

Deb Mc

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    True, Deb, you don't want to overuse Dex. I did it 2x day for 3 days and never had it crop back up. I also diluted it much more than the vet recommended. The theory is that the dex will reduce whatever residual inflamation there is int he bronchial tubes, I believe. It's not an ongoing treatment. I didn't mean to implay that. oops

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    WTG! Am glad your goat has lost the cough.

Deb Mc