The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does has a dry cough every now and then. Not when she's running or anything. Just standing. I treated her with 3cc of Ivermec Plus (1cc/20lb) a couple days ago and she still dry coughs. Should I hit her again? Is there something else it could be related to?

It's not dusty and I don't know what she could be "allergic" to.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Goathiker told me how to test for lungworms......very very awesome!!! Get her poo and wrap in gauze and twist like a tea bad and place in water over night next morning you'll see them floating on the top if she has it. You could probably pm her if that makes no sense lol. Any ways did you check to see if she has a temp?? Listen to her chest and see if there is a rattle. Also have read that the lung worms can cause damage to the lungs and make them cough when running. And she could just simply have a bit of a cough. I'm in California and we have some fires going and I know I sound like I'm a few steps away from having tb lol

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Treating for lungworm, you need to inject it. The dosage for injection is 1cc per 40 lbs. Do 3 shots, 10 days apart.

But, it can be allergies or dust or something.

Try doing the test suggested above to see if you have lungworm.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree...keep the wormer 10 days apart...over worming wil taxed her system..she neds time for the wormer to work...
Benadryl can help with the cough if its allergies..

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
1 cc per 40# sub q is correct..

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I have treated for lungworms giving Ivomec orally, 1cc per 33 lbs, 3x, 10 days apart.
The ivomec plus, isn't needed, unless you have liver flukes. It has the same ingredients as the regular Ivomec, but, has 1 added ingredient to kill liver flukes.

Giving Ivomec SQ, is for treating mites or if a goat is very anemic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts