Dry dairy goat question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by donbusbin, Aug 31, 2009.

1. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I am new to dairy goats. I bought an Apine with full udder from a sale sale barn ( no info from seller). I got her home and milked her out. I got about a quart and a half of very watery
    liquid with white solid flecks floating in it. I know this can't be normal, after cooling, it formed a thick white layer on top and is very salty, (I cautiously tasted it.) The following day her bag was very deflated and yielded about one half cup of the same watery liquid. Today she is completely empty and deflated. This is a very docile and well trained lady. How could the bag be so full one day and go flat so fast? She appears to have come from a milking herd and may have been milked out but it does not make sense that she could appear to be in milk one day and dry the next but as I said I know little about dairy goats. Any anwer to this?
    Thanks, Don

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they were possibly drying her off and never fully emptied her udder at the very end of the drying off. Thats what it sounds like to me. :shrug:

also welcome to TGS :wave:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello from North Idaho :wave: I would suspect the same as Stacey mentioned.... BTW - we :love: pictures

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Don....I too agree with Stacey and Allison, she was in the process of drying off and what was in her udder was left there as back pressure to keep her from producing more.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i suspect the same, she hasnt been milked in quite sometime, and now she isnt producing because there is no room for the milk. I strongly suggest getting her tested for mastitis. Watery milk and flecks dont sound good. Just to be sure though. If she doesnt great. but if she does and it isnt treated now she can carry it over to her next freshening and you will be dealing with a worst case then.

beth