The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing to make a dry lot and curious on which way to do it? Any pictures or suggestions? It will be outside and i cannot afford to pour a concrete pad and i know that's the best way. Im thinking rock then lime on top idk how it would hold up in rain but i know it packs like concrete. All hay and feed will be off the ground at all times as well.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You dont want lime on top. It shouldnt come in contact with the goats flesh as it can burn them. Lime always goes onto of the dirt with something then on top of the lime. The biggest problem you are going to have is to find a material that you can clean easily. Rocks compact well and is good for drainage but a nightmare to try and clean. Sand is easy to clean and drains well but unless wet all the time, doesnt stay packed to well. Wood chips from say a tree trimming place (which I have used) drain well, pack well and are pretty easy to clean if you dont mind wood chips in your manure. BUT they also hold bacteria a long time.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ag lime is safe for animals and humans to touch and will not burn you but Hydrated lime is what you don't want to use with livestock as it will burn you or the animals.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I will use clean. Just wanted to let whoever know that lime is safe to use just need to make sure you get the right kind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts