The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I was wondering, from those of you with dry lots, do you see a change in parasite loads? My goats' pen is plenty enough to stretch their legs, and to grow some grass, but it's still not a super big pen, and since I cannot rotate I'm sure it's pretty wormy, especially from this rainy year. I was wondering if it was a dry lot, would it be easier to manage the worms? Any thoughts on this? I wish I could rotate but I just don't have the funding for the extra fences right now.

10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just been such a wormy year, and since the grass doesn't feed them and only curbs boredom, I am sorely tempted to be rid of it and give them more toys. Less worms would make me a very happy gal. I could rake out the pastures, keep it nice and squeaky clean. I just want to make sure my logic makes sense. I know that grazing is wonderful for animals, but goats are browsers, and if I can't rotate I just hate having to worry about them eating up all those parasites.

10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's amazing, GoatCrazy! I'm hoping to breed for some more parasite resistance. I deworm herbally, which has worked well for us, but I still always worry for them and I wish they weren't constantly being re-infected.

10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be foolish if I tilled all the grass under? I only want to do it if I think it'll make a difference. But even if it makes a small difference, that will be something and I would be so happy about it, haha! :laugh:

10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very small herd. I have five does in one yard, and three bucks in the front yard. The kids are small so they don't take up much room, haha. I'm not sure exactly the yard size. They are never crouded, but it is not a large pasture. Their pasture is about the size of the suburban yard I grew up in. I'll take a picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.