Dry skin

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JenAndNick, Dec 30, 2010.

1. JenAndNick

JenAndNick New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    St. Johns, Michigan
    We just brought home a new goat and his skin is dry and flaky. Any suggestions for help with that? Thanks!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A good brushing with a bristle brush will help loosen the dead skin, putting some Aloe Vera juice in his water will help too. If it was warmer out I'd suggest doing what I did over the summer with my pygmy buck...shave him and pour fast absorbing baby oil all over him.

3. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I'm interested in this too. Someone just asked me the same question today at work. Does anyone use flaxseed oil? or any other skin/coat suppliment?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I used Flaxseed oil over last winter in my bucks feed...he had such an issue with dry skin that it didn't really help him...though I would imagine that him being a buck and and doing those bucky things was the culprit for the crud he had.

5. JenAndNick

JenAndNick New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Thanks!! I think I'll try the flax seed and aloe. :)

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    If a person was to use flax do you think a goat would utilize it more as an oil or whole seed?

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have an almost 4 yr old wether that has had dry skin since he was little......I have tried all of the suggestions offered except for what Liz did with her Hank, which I plan on doing this summer. My Elwood doesn't itch, he just always has flaky skin...he is a very thick coated black goat. I plan on shaving him and scrubing him down, then trying the baby oil. My boy gets the best minerals, BOSS.....I copper boluse, nothing makes a difference.......and he has been treated for external/internal parasites.....I have about decided that this is just how he rolls :) !

8. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The most stubborn dry skin issues I've encountered turned out to be ringworm (fungus). I've you gone through a patch of damp or rainy weather that might be the problem.