Dry Skin

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by J.O.Y. Farm, Jan 11, 2012.

1. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Hello,
    New to posting here, but have been snooping around for some time.
    Anyway I have an ND do who is black and she gets dry skin, in the winter it is much worse.... it is almost gone when i clipp her for show season. Is there anythin I can feed her to help? I give BOSS and BlueSeal Sunshine Plus along with her dairy pellets and alfalfa pellets. anything else I should add? :whatgoat:

2. Is she free of parasites both internal and external?
    Does she have free choice loose minerals? What brand?
    Do you copper bolus?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have the same questions as Logan. :thumb:

Also, i've been using powdered kelp in with my goat minerals along with flax seed and their coats are so nice and soft!...only a few seem to have dry skin...the rest have beautiful coats!

4. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I have good success with the addition of black sunflower seeds, and kelp powder in the grain mix, if any animals have dry skin I also add aloe vera juice mixed in with their feed and have found it does clears up the dry skin..

5. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Yes she is free of any mites or lice, she is UTD with worming, she is due for her copper, but we are waiting another month till she is 3 mo. bred. I can't seem to find kelp at any feed stores near here.....

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You usually won't find kelp at your feed store...not many stock it. I had to order mine. I used Amazon and bought two 50lb boxes of powdered, natural, organic sea kelp from a health food place. If you use the search above, for kelp, there are some threads started already about where to find it. :thumb:

7. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Ok great thanks! also where would I find aloe vera juice? sorry for all the ?'s

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aloe Vera Juice can be bought at Walmart...the pharmacy area has it. I've used both the Aloe as well as Flaxseed meal when my buck had skin issues and they worked great.

9. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    thank you so much every one! I'll try the Aloe juice and see what happens!

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Several cc of aloe vera a couple of times a week can work wonders. My buck has real dry skin especially where his horns rub. Thanks for the reminder Liz, he needs another treatment.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup:

12. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    So i don't feed it every day on the grain?

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Rex Brand Wheat Germ Oil works great too. Just put some on their feed every day. You should see results within 6 weeks.

14. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    awsome I might try that....

15. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I just bought some aloe vera juice to try on my poor Nubian - she's so itchy that she's rubbed her lovely Roman nose bald. I feed my 2 does from the same feed pan, so my ND will be getting some too even though her skin seems fine. I'll let you know if I notice any improvement in her dry, itchy skin...

16. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    oh thank you! do you give it to her every day? if so how much?

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My buck (250lb) gets 8 -10 cc aloe vera orally once a week. I also rub it on his dry spots. His horns rub on him.
    I see improvement in a couple of weeks or so.

18. J.O.Y. Farm

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire