The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide the course of action for my buck. He looks to have really bad dry skin.

Could be copper (he was very deficient and his last bolus was in December)

Attachments

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I had a doe like that... She was worse in the winter and spring.. And better through summers and fall.. She too was copper deficient.. But even after getting her copper still had dry skin... Her daughter was also having the same problem...

I added BOSS and it helped some but she still had it.. I was going to try wheat germ, but the stuff we had in the back of our cabinet was expired like two years ago lol! So I never did get around to trying it before she was sold...

·
Super Moderator
58,187 Posts
If he is ready for it, I would copper and BoSe. I also really like wheat germ oil but that needs to be given daily on the feed.

·
Super Moderator
58,187 Posts
My local feed stores have it. It is Rex Brand Wheat Germ Oil. I buy that specifically because it is only wheat germ oil. Others have some soy and other stuff in it. You can also get it online. I know PBS Livestock sells it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
My TSC ha the wheat germ oil... Don't remember what brand though.. They also have a healthy coat or something like that.. It's made for goats...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I certainly will look into it. But Im not against other ideas too if others have suggestions :)

I need him looking good by July 21st for his first show

·
2,203 Posts
I really like coconut oil massaged into the skin.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My big girls had really bad dry skin, I used a moisturizing shampoo and scrubbed it all off with a softer scrub cleaning brush. It hasn't come back at all, I think it was from shedding the winter coats. You could add vit E to a bolus

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Stacey, when my pygmy buck Hank had the very dry skin, it was over his sides and his rump... I gave him a zinc tablet as well as a shave and good scrubbing with a soft bristled brush and mild shampoo.. after he was semi dry I applied fast absorbing baby oil to him almost every day and used a soft bristled brush to really get it into his skin, this also acted as an exfoliate to remove the dead skin. It took 2 weeks to really see improvement though so since your boy has a few weeks before show time, he has time to recover from this :)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im leaving Monday for Chicago (brothers wedding) and wont be back for a week. So I will mention this to April but Im thinking it will be up to me to accomplish once i get home.

Im busy today with my new job and then tomorrow is fathers day so yeah it will have to wait till I get home in a little over a week.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm by no means experienced but... A shave and a bath helped my girl immensely but it wasn't perfect. I've been giving her more BOSS and I massaged her with avocado oil that I had for a dog that had super dry skin. I might also feed her a little daily on her grain if the topical treatment doesn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts