Dry Up

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by rancher, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher

rancher New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Idaho
    What is the best way to dry up our doe? We have been milking since her birthing twins last Febuary. We have completely stopped for the past three days, however, she seems extremly engourged (teats very full).

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I usually take it down to once a day, then every other day, then I stop. If they seem really full after a couple days I milk them out again. You don't want her to get so full it's painful and hurts the udder.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I dry up my girls before breeding, I do similar to Ashley but I go from milking 2x a day for 4 months to 1x a day for 6 weeks, to every other day for a week then stop completely unless they seem to be engorged, all this time there is a decrease in grain as well and when the final milking comes around, they have no grain at all. Do keep an eye out for engorgement and only milk out enough to relieve a bit of pressure.

This process has worked well for my girls the last 7 years without a hitch....though I do have one doe that seems to not want to dry up at all!

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i do the same as they others except i do not milk them all the way out when i go to once a day. the more you take out the more they want to put back so i do not strip them at this point.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct -- dont just stop all together - you can cause mastitis and that can kill a doe if not treated. So best to gradually dry her off.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i do the same as the others, but i also teat dip with iodine at least twice a day even on days that i dont milke. Bacteria can still go up an orfice and can still cause mastitis. I also do a two day mastitis treatment and the second treatment (when i wont have milk the doe anymore) i leave in there.
    they can carry mastitis over to the next year. I also continue teat dipping for at least a week.
    beth