Dryin her off?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Sfgwife, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Gracie only gives me 10-12 ounces a day. I need dry her off. I milked her out all the way this mornin and taped her teats.... cause bibbin still resides with her. Yes not ideal but it is what i have to work with since the convict wont stay down the hill with the boys. So. Check her every day makin sure she isnt miserable or hot but not milk her right? If she is miserable just take the tinnniest amount to soften her udder then back the tape goes. Yes? How long does it usually take them to dry up? I know different for every goat but just a guesstimate. How long after i cannot feel milk should i leave her taped? I am not sure if me untapin and him tryin nurse will make her start producin milk again... first time doin all this if ya cant tell by now. :). My go to goat book doesn’t TELL me how do this part ugh. Oh! I have been decreasin her grain for a week now as well. She only gets bout half a cup once a day of a mornin right now.

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    As you already know - it's different for every goat. One of mine only takes a month, another 3. I would get rid of grain entirely. Best case would be to have her not nursed for at least 2 months depending on how she is drying up for you. Hopefully after that time she will kick the kid off.

Sfgwife likes this.

3. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

if the kid does keep nursing after she is dry, she will start up again, hopefully she will have enough and not let him

Sfgwife and toth boer goats like this.
  4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Store bought milk is dumb! That.is.all.for.today. We only had goat milk for six months but dang this store stuff is bleh now! I think i need another lil lady so i can rotate breedin and milkin. Lol!

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  5. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Thanks! She only was lettin him nurse in the mornin and once of an evenin from what i saw. And even then he got a few good sucks and she would kick him off. He didnt even try this mornin which suprised me. He just was noisy bout his disapproval yesterday. But not horribly so. He is plenty old enough to be off her lol!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

She has been kickin him off for a bit... he gets a few good pulls and she walks away. He didnt even try nurse this mornin while i was up doin chores and he usually goes for her when she comes out from milkin. I didnt milk her today just kept her in the stall while i cleaned it then let her loose. Her udder is a bit tight but not horribly so. I just didnt know if he would even try after a bit of not bein able to and how long i might need keep her taped after she is dry because of that.

7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

It just depends... On him, On her. We can't tell you how long, just to tell you to be persistent and attentive. I would not give her any more grain now. I would milk her out every few days to prevent mastitis. Increase the time between milkings by one entire day every time. Like milk her out tomorrow, then 2 days after tomorrow, then 3 days after that, then four days after that, then 5-6 days after that. This would then be over 2 weeks from now and she should be OK.

It really would be best to take her boy away from her completely. You will need that ability anyway if you are going to keep breeding. You have to be able to separate.

goatblessings and Sfgwife like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. #nubiantrouble

#nubiantrouble New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    My goat doesn’t give me much milk either I only get 1/4 of a gallon in a day. I am also trying to dry her up but she seems to need to be milked longer.

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If she is only giving you 16 oz a day, try pulling all grain, separating any kids and milking once every other day, then after a week every 3 days etc. With that little milk she should dry up fairly soon.

11. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Like you stated: Goats are all different when it comes to drying off. I was able to dry 3 first time freshers in a couple of weeks as they were ready to stop on their own. However the 4th FF was a different case and she went about 3 times longer before she dried off. Now the old doe is still milking to some degree. I am now only milking her every 3 days and will drop to every 4th day soon. She should be dry in another 2-3 weeks. It is amazing how thick and creamy the milk gets when you only milk every third day.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  12. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    If she is only giving 10-12oz you can just stop milking cold turkey. You don't need to milk her out a little. Reducing her grain was a good idea. :)

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.