Drying off and then graining for freshening question.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I wasn't quite sure where to put this so hope this is ok.

So, I've dried off two of my does who are due in March or April or May ???? :hair: When do I start graining them again? One of them has only been dry for about a week, she's actually still got some milk in her bag. Will she completely dry up and just hasn't yet? I don't want to start to give her grain again and have her start making more milk since I'm not milking her anymore. It is possible that she's due the first week of March but I think she's due the first week of April. (I bred her but she came back into heat a few weeks later so we rebred her.)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can start giving her grain when she is 2 months from kidding or as late as a week before kidding.

with her already drying off her body is responding to that. Give another week and then start giving her a little grain.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    well I did not give my does any grain at all because I have no idea they were due when they were. They were the ones I had no idea they were even pregnant. SO they got started on the grain as soon as they were in the stalls it there babies.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't give my preggers any grain until they hit the third trimester. then it's about 1/2 a cup of grain every two to three days. then when its close to three weeks till they are due they get a cup a day..

cause the third trimester is when the kids grow alot, so the doe's need alot more energy