drying off concerns

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by luvbug*diapers, Jul 23, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    this is what i have done so far.
    it is my first time and concerned about her milk.

first week started milking morning only then every other day for week and a half.
    when i milked this morning and 2 days ago i noticed her milk a different color then the other doe we are keeping in milk.

it has a slight color to it.
    it is hard to tell if it is a tan or a red tint.faint but can tell comparing the two.
    did a mastitis test both times and seems fine maybe a very slight slimmyness to it.

also did temp this morning and was at 101
    eats fine,looks fine and acts fine

is this just a normal thing that happens when drying off? :whatgoat:
    she was in good production just have no more room for milk around here.

thank you for any info on this and sorry for the long post.

renee

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are you still milking EOD? With just 48 hours between milkings, the milk shouldn't be changing color or consistency, is she as full with each milking? If she's filling after each milking the milk should be normal.
    What mastitis test did you use? I have the Dr Naylors test cards, they won't tell you the bacteria strain but they do work with indicating mastitis.

3. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Are these the ones for cows? Do they work for goats also (I assume they would, but just want to be sure)?

4. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    yes im milking eod i think it has been 3 times now and she is so full and hard at each milking.

i used CMT for the testing.
    it begins to get slimmy looking then slim balls form and worse as the mastitis gets worse.

they have a paper to indicate where she is with the mastitis if she has it by how slimmy and stringy it is.

so it is part inturpitation on the reader.

i just never noticed it before now and i have been dumping it since i dont now if it is e.coli or not.

it also is on her one side only.the side that produces more milk.

renee

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Knock on wood, I've never dealt with mastitis and hope to not ever do so but I do think that your doe's change in color and consistency of milk would be cause for concern, the only time I've noticed thickish, off color milk is from a doe that had been 2 months "dry" when I got her, I stripped her out so as to not let it sit in her udder longer than it should. No mastitis, just old milk.

Sounds like your girl is an awesome milker, especially to be full and tight with EOD milking. Have you cut her grain out totally?Most of the time thats all it takes to cut production, I do think if it were me in your position, I would be treating her for mastitis, not every mastitis case will cause a doe's temp to rise.
    And yes, the cards I use are made for cattle, work very well too as I gave a few to a friend and she's had 2 does test popsitive with them, one with a precosious udder, the other at 1 day fresh.

6. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    i looked on the calender and it has been 3 times of eod milking.
    she did get a 1/2 cup of grain yesterday as to work on her.
    but that is the exception to it.she is a wonderful milking doe.
    has had mastitis with her last year after kidding also.
    would be sad to think this is the norm for her.
    she is so seasoned on the stand and bullet proof when it comes to being jumpy and such.
    just awsome to work on doe.

any other info would be great.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I was told not to dry off a heavy milker while there is a lot of daylight, that I should do it in the fall when the days are shorter. The longer daylight kind of promotes them to continue producing milk. Is this true?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IDK...I've never heard that Karen. It likely has more to do with the fact that the goats would be out eating more due to the length of days therefore producing more.

Renee, I hope your doe is no worse but I am inclined to think that once a doe has had mastitis, they would be prone to a reoccurrance with future freshenings.

9. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Re: drying off concerns and a few more in my latest post

i milked her today and all looked well with her now.
    no discoloration and the test seemed fine,but cats still got it off that one side just in case.

also how long do i do eod milking and start doing it less.

seems she has regulated to the eod so maybe that is the que to do the next step.which im not sure of either.

renee