Drying off doe, milk tastes funny

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by ksalvagno, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been in the process of drying up a doe. She is a heavy milker that has not wanted to dry up. She is now down to about a pint when milking and there are 3 days in between milkings. I test the milk through a strip cup and since there have been a few days in between milkings, I have also tasted the milk that comes out of each teat. Today is the first time that her milk tasted funny. Should the milk taste the same to the end or not? Should I test this girl for mastitis? Udder is not hot and milk looks normal.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

3. ksalvagno

She was bred on 10/15 and I'm hoping it took. I just also remembered that she is grazing more than she was before. So now I'm wondering if that is it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Milking every 3 days can cause the milk to taste off as its sitting in the udder and very little new milk is being produced.

If milk sits in the udder more then 24 hours I personally don't drink it, but maybe I'm weird :shrug:

5. ksalvagno

Thanks. It just didn't seem like mastitis. I have been watching her carefully. She has been milking for 20 months so I really just want to get her dried off and give her a break. This is my first time with all this and I'm probably worrying about mastitis more than I need to.