Drying off does

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Jenna, May 4, 2009.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Ok, I have this doe that just won't dry off! Do you have any tricks/ ways you do it???? :? The reason I want to dry her off is she is impossible to milk, I do NOT like her teats and milk stand manners! :sigh: Thanks!!

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Take her grain down, start feeding her grass hay and take her down to once a day milkings and don't milk her out all the way. That should help :)

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You can take her grain away completly and just give her hay. In some cases some goats have to be all but starved to get them to stop producing.
    beth

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks!!!! I have just been milking her when she looks very uncomfortable and just to let the pressure off a bit. I have been giving her grain because she got real skinny, and if I stop giving her grain she'll be in a bad way. :sigh: I am kind of stumped here.. :scratch:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I dry my does off the month they are bred and with Binky, it took longer than I expected, I did the usual withholding grain and feeding hay, browse but it still took a good 6 weeks for her to totally dry up. I know it's awful to see them lose condition, but I think that "bit" of grain she is getting is going into milk production anyway....so I would totally cut it and make sure she has minerals and start from scratch....milk tomorrow morning and then again 36 hours later....about the same time, but Thursday evening then again on Saturday evening but increase the hours between milkings, of course you know the back pressure in the udder tells her when and when not to increase milk, she won't burst but will surely look like it. It may take a couple weeks but persitance is key...and eventually she won't have a full udder.
    Mastitis scares all of us, but given that most practice sanitary milking processes I wouldn't worry too much unless she feels very hot and hard and you can't get anything out of her. She'll be fine, it's too bad that her production is lost because of her teats and behaviour :hug:

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks liz!! What I did not mention before was that she was anemic ( the vet didn't know why :angry: ) and she is recovering from that finnaly!! Hence the grain ration which I now cut because she looks to be drying off!! :clap: Thanks for all your suggestions !! Jenna