Drying off questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm in the process of drying off a doe for my first time. I've gotten conflicting advice (as usual :? ). So, I'm doing it the FiascoFarm way. I'm on day six and thus only milking every morning. She's giving me over twice the amount of milk each morning than she was when I was milking her twice a day!! I've cut her grain to 1/3 of what she was getting. Is this normal through this lengthy procedure? Am I doing something wrong?

Our local goat vet suggests milking out, waiting four days, milking out and then using something called Dry Cal that you literally put into their teats. Doing it that way sounds just awful for the goat but ???

How do you all dry off your does?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i do the fiasco farm thing.. cut the grain ect

but i only ever milk once a day anyway.. i just gradually milk out less and less.. like i'll milk it all out for a few days, then like 3/4ths for a few days then 1/2, ect

the less you take the less they make

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I cut the amount of grain and I do not milk them all the way out, this goes on for a few days, then I cut down to 1 milking a day, milk less and less out each time and they dry up just fine for me.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not know if it is different for dairy goats as others. But I cut out all the grain, and I let them go for about two day, then milk out just enough to release some pressure, then I keep doing this but I go more and more days apart. I bet AI only milk them a bit like twice or maybe three times, beings mine are not milked all the time like your dairy goats are, they HATE it, so they do not let me get near then for a few days.

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I went from 2 times a day to 1 time a day for the first week, cutting grain in half at the same time. Then milked 1 time per day every other day for the second week. 3rd week milked every third day, 1 time per day. 4th week stopped milking altogether. On the days that I didn't milk, I continued to check the udder daily to make sure that she was doing ok.

I probably went overboard on the whole thing, but I'd read that you should make all changes with a goat gradually, so I probably over thought the whole process :shrug:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Jonelle....that is exactly the way I do it with my girls....though they do tend to fight me on it!

I do have a mini that I am currently milking and after being 10 months fresh, my good girl is still giving just under a pint a day...I want to keep her going as long as possible as she is no longer going to be bred.

7. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Liz.....thank goodness! I thought that I was really going overboard, lol.