Drying off Whisper

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by lesserweevil, Aug 30, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well I've made the decision to finally dry off Whisper - who started milking in May 2008. She's not even bred yet, but we've got to the stage where we've FAR too much milk with both her and Demi milking... so we really don't need to keep her going.

I halved her grain ration a few weeks ago and it didnt do anything to her milk production. So now I've cut it off altogether and banned her from going outside - so that basically she is on hay and water. And milking once every two days.

Will probably keep up the once every 2 days for a couple of weeks... I'm hoping she doesn't lose too much weight over this!

I'm always paranoid about drying off does - about the risks of mastitis, etc. And then when it comes for them to kid again I'm paranoid as their udder is filling, that they wont get mastitis again... like Will did... and died from it :(

So here's to hoping that Whisper will dry up quickly and successfully and that her udder will be fine and healthy etc etc. I plan to finish her up with dry-cow mastitis tubes anyway "just-in-case"

LW

PS and now I need her to come in heat so that I can breed her to Fionn!!! :slapfloor:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, I hope Whissy co-operates and dries up nicely for you. Sounds like you have a good plan in place to keep her udder healthy too :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so hows it going Katie?? is she being good and drying up? I have a doe who I CAN'T get to stop milking :doh:

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well she's had 1 week so far of milking every two days and seems to be enjoying that... I haven't actually milked her because my brother is doing it at the minute. I am going to keep her on every 2 days until this time next week and then put to every 3 days for a week and then call it quits and see what happens!

LW