The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 2 yr old ff does that I just weaned kids off of. They have very full bags on them from not being nursed off of and I want to dry them up since I do not want milk. How do I go about doing this? I am milking them a little bit to take pressure off but will that stimulate them to make more? This is my first kidding season so I am not quite sure about all of this.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just milk out enough to relieve some pressure.. Not too much though. When I dried my doe up we milked out enough every morning and night so her udder wasn't tight. Then we only did it at night.. Then just quit. Don't give them grain either.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Stop or reduce grain.... by milking just enough to keep them comfortable you are telling the body not as much milk is needed and she will begin to decrease her production....the heavier of a milker she is the longer this method will take

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys so much! I am cutting their grain down to 1/4 a scoop and will milk as instructed. I've heard about using Tomorrow to protect against mastitis. Should I use it?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
i've not used it as a preventive, never had an issue drying mine off when done slowly...

·
2,203 Posts
Thank you guys so much! I am cutting their grain down to 1/4 a scoop and will milk as instructed. I've heard about using Tomorrow to protect against mastitis. Should I use it?
It's kind of up to you. We use ToMorrow and Orbeseal on all the cows and all the goats regardless, just as our personal practice. Some people never use ToMorrow with great success. Our preference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts