The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 FF's that I need to dry up by the end of October (around the 18-21st) because I have to go out of town for a few weeks. I have been reading a lot here on the forum and other sites about drying up does and have seen all kinds of answers from "just stop cold turkey" to taking 2 months for the process.

I have a schedule written up to space it out over about 1 month, and I wanted to see if I can get some feedback- do you think I should start earlier or later, is there anything special about drying up FF's that I need to know? I have a ND/Kinder and an Alpine/Oberhasli, I'm not worried about the little one as she doesn't produce much but the big one gets reeeally full even if I am a few hours late milking so I'm a bit concerned about her. I am just scared of going out of town and having something bad happen - my housemate doesn't know the goats as well as I do and I doubt he would notice an issue.

So here is my schedule:

Sept 16 start milking 1x per day, reduce grain to 3/4 of normal ration
Sept 30 start milking every other day
Oct 14 stop milking (I wanted a few days to watch and make sure they dont' get engorged)

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thank you- should I go right to milking once per day, or start with decreasing the grain and then go to once a day in a few days or a week?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I have some of that growing in the backyard! I will look into it and see if I can find out dosage, thanks!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
On the last milking I would also infuse each doe with 1 tube of ToMorrow per side, it seems to help them dry up. It can also help to prevent them from getting mastitis during the dry period, especially for your heavier milker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I will see if I can get some of that at the local feed shop they tend to have a lot of the medical-type things there.

I didn't milk last night for the first time and I felt so bad, I could hear Cherry whining and crying! It was the same exact feeling as when I have to leave my dog all alone for a few hours, haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts