The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 FF's that I need to dry up by the end of October (around the 18-21st) because I have to go out of town for a few weeks. I have been reading a lot here on the forum and other sites about drying up does and have seen all kinds of answers from "just stop cold turkey" to taking 2 months for the process.

I have a schedule written up to space it out over about 1 month, and I wanted to see if I can get some feedback- do you think I should start earlier or later, is there anything special about drying up FF's that I need to know? I have a ND/Kinder and an Alpine/Oberhasli, I'm not worried about the little one as she doesn't produce much but the big one gets reeeally full even if I am a few hours late milking so I'm a bit concerned about her. I am just scared of going out of town and having something bad happen - my housemate doesn't know the goats as well as I do and I doubt he would notice an issue.

So here is my schedule:

Sept 16 start milking 1x per day, reduce grain to 3/4 of normal ration
Sept 30 start milking every other day
Oct 14 stop milking (I wanted a few days to watch and make sure they dont' get engorged)

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I will see if I can get some of that at the local feed shop they tend to have a lot of the medical-type things there.

I didn't milk last night for the first time and I felt so bad, I could hear Cherry whining and crying! It was the same exact feeling as when I have to leave my dog all alone for a few hours, haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.