Drying up a goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Scott, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Is there anything that I can do for my goat to dry her up a little quicker. Since I pulled the babies off her bag is getting pretty big.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Scott, I do not believe I have talked with you. First of all, WELCOME.

What I do is, I stop feeding her grain right away. I do not mess with them at all for at least a 5-7 days, then I will milk her out just enough to relieve the pressure. Do that as little as you can. They will start drying up in a little over two weeks, depending on the goat.
    Good Luck. I hate that time of year. I hurt so bad for them.

3. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    So you don't give them any grain for 5-7 days. I cut her off grain for about two days and she wasn't happy at all so I've been giving her about 3/4 of cup each day. Thanks for the information.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is this a boer I assume? Is she pregnant at all? If she isn't pregnant, you can give her sage to dry her off. Cut her food down to just a little oats and grass hay. With our boers, we don't generally milk them at all when they are drying off, if we have a doe that is busting full we will milk a little bit out.

5. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thank you. Yes it is a Boer and we just weaned the babies off of her about 5 days ago. She has really swelled up. I milked out a little just to help relieve the pressure and have cut her feed way down. I was just wondering if there was something we could give her to help speed up the drying up process. Thanks.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Scott, I sure wish there was a way to help them dry up faster. I would be the first to purchase it. I would NOT give her ANY grain at all. it will only take about three weeks for her to dry up, then you will be ablwe to give the grain again.

Is the baby within hearing distance of her? I have noticed when the babies are where mom's can see or hear them it takes a little longer. Every time the baby cries, they will produce a little more milk. I hate that time of year. I just hurt for them.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If she isn't pregnant, you can give her some sage to help dry her off. If she is pregnant, you can use parsely. Black walnut leaves dry them up quickly too.