Drying up

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by taube, May 27, 2010.

1. taube

taube New Member

May 21, 2010
    We rescued a goat that had been a milking goat. She went almost a week without being milked, poor thing. Now it seems one side is drying up and the other remains full almost to the point of engorgement. Is this typical, and should I expect the other side to dry up as well? What would be the best way to manage this? I would love to have the milk, but want only to do what's best for HER, that comes first and foremost. I am completely new to milking, and you guys have given me GREAT advise! Thank you so much in advance!
    Karen :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes after not being milked for a week its normal for them to dry up.

But you need to milk the engorged side so she is more comfortable and doesnt get mastitis

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I wean my babies yes they do get rather engorged. I tell you I hurt for them.

I only milk them out just a bit to release the pressure, and they will dry up.

Now I do not have milk goats, but it is about the same. Just don't let that side get to engorged, but the more you milk it out the more it will keep producing, so that is why I only milk to release the pressure.

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    If you want the milk, then empty both sides as much as possible. Gently massage the udder to make sure it is empty as you are finishing. I'd milk her 3-4 times a day at first. Be sure she has plenty of water and grain her. Many people feed alfalfa to improve production, but I give dolomite in the mineral mix and that helps prevent mastitis as well as providing calcium and magnesium.

I don't think it will hurt her to keep milking as long as you are feeding her enough and getting her the minerals she needs.