·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the fastest way to dry up our doe. thanks

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Pull her kids, let nature take its course, and keep an eye on her for mastitis. Now, if you want to dry her up with a lot less stress on her, transition her from straight alfalfa and grain to good quality grass hay, pull one kid, wait a week and pull another kid, and continue until all kids are pulled. Then let nature take its course and keep an eye on her for mastitis.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any more suggestions anyone?

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
my doe went into heat last week and decided not to eat her grain at all. her milk stopped immediately and she dried up over a few days.

so I guess, cut the feed way back. I've also heard that sage is a good herbal remedy to dry them up

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you

·
2,203 Posts
Are you milking her by hand? How much does she give?

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
cutting her feed is necessary, we go to once a day milking, then skip a day..then only milk enough to keep her comfortable for a week or so, then let her finish drying up her self, if they are heavy milkers this process can take longer...
Or you can just milk enough to keep her comfy until her production slows...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Last month I dried my doe for the first time (I've always had wethers as pets) I was new to it also. Everyone in this group helped me thru it. Actually quite easy. Removed her grain, over a few days switched to grass hay and over that same week cut back on milking she stopped on her own and wouldn't drop anymore

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Give her fresh Sage leaves. Either from the pasture or I get mine from the store. I give the whole packet twice a day for about three days and they are normally dryed up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you milking her by hand? How much does she give?
no only her kids drink from her!

·
2,203 Posts
no only her kids drink from her!
Ah hah, then pull the kids, and watch her. You'll have to check at 12 hours, then again at 24 hours. Keep checking. She should dry herself up, but you may have to milk a little to relieve pressure.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i would like to dry her up cause 1 teat is bigger than another teat so it takes ages for me to milk her, but her kids are still 2 months old they have to drink milk!:(

·
2,203 Posts
well i would like to dry her up cause 1 teat is bigger than another teat so it takes ages for me to milk her, but her kids are still 2 months old they have to drink milk!:(
60 days is old enough to wean. :) I wonder how momma will do though, at 2 months she's early-mid lactation.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
60 days is old enough to wean. :) I wonder how momma will do though, at 2 months she's early-mid lactation.
i dont get what you mean by this " at 2 months she's early-mid lactation".:D

·
2,203 Posts
i dont get what you mean by this " at 2 months she's early-mid lactation".:D
Envision lactation as an upwards curve. Kidding marks the start of the curve. It's all uphill curve from there until 6-9 weeks post kidding. So really, she's right in her peak lactation, if not a little past. After they peak, the curve slowly creeps back down. Depending on her milk lines, she may have a difficult time drying up right now. What breed? If she's a meat breed-they take drying up much easier.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
allright. thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts