Dude needs prayers - updated

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 4, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Early Sunday morning (like midnight to 2am) Ashley a friend of mine and me were able to save Dude from UC complications by cutting off the end of his pizel.

Well he seems to have developed an infection, still peeing (thank the Lord!). Poop is normal but tempis a bit low but holding. I have him on Excenel (thank you Ashley!!!).

My question is: can I put Blu-Kote on the infection site? we already poured iodine on it and that was not fun and now I am on my own to treat him so something I can do one handed would be in order.

I havent seen him yet today as I had to be up real early to watch some friends kids - we are headed to my house in a couple min (gonna have to treat him later once the kids parents get home I guess unless my mom watches them in the house).

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Dude needs prayers

WOW Stacey, Sorry I have no idea. I have ever had that problem. When you cut the tip off did he pee a lot? I would be afraid that the powder would get hard after he pees and could cause a problem. I would try more of a oil based sauve.

I hope he gets this all cleared up.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Oh Stacey.....I am so sorry about Dude.....I know your doing everything you can for him :hug: .

:pray: pray he gets better soon.....Denise

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Oh yeah, he peed A LOT. Stream was good too.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

and he is still peeing from what I have seen as of last night. Still passing some stones I think so thats good but also a worry that he will get one stuck further up that I cant help.

Lori I will see if I can do something like that - not srue how well it will stay but its worth a shot I guess. :(

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am so sorry about ...Dude ...I am praying for him..... :hug: :pray:

I have to agree with Lori ....a oil base will better suit the area...and not clump up making things worse... re apply at least 2 x a day, and keep him in a clean area.. :hug:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Keep us posted and we will be praying for him. :pray:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

um the triple antibiotic ointment didnt work -- the area is to wet.

Still peeing adn pooping normally - drinking and eating

temp still a bit low 100.8

9. Re: Dude needs prayers

:pray: for you and dude! don't know what else to say? :( I hope he is ok. :hug:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

these are some things used for pizzle rot ...maybe it will work for Dude?

NolvasanTM ointment

Bag BalmTM.

DesitinTM diaper rash ointment.

Oil-based products stay on and provide a protective coating.

11. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA

Ok I went looking on my Pack Goat groups and a member just lost one to stones. This infor was given to late to save it but hopefully it will work for you.

You need to fee Bio-Chlor. It will help remove stones and sludge. Also it was said to add applecider to the water or diluted gatorade to get him to drink as much water as posible. Also give this in a couple buckets so if one gets soiled there is a second there.
    This info came from one of the top breeders of pack goats I hope it helps.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

THanks Shelly -- I am already giving him ACV and I have AC on order - scheduled to arrive Friday.

I currently have his UC under control I think its the infection I have to worry about. :shrug:

He is running from me now and he is still peeing pooping and eating/chewing cud etc.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

sorry to hear about your troubles with Dude. I REALLY hope he recovers for you, sounds like theres some good advice. Ashely is so nice to be helping out too :thumb:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Oh my! I'm so sorry you have had to deal with this! :hug:

Do you think the infection is in the sheath area or in the urethra?

If you can get the area dry enough, try the triple antibiotic salve again, if you think the infection is deeper a course of a systematic antibiotic would be more helpful.

Good thing you caught this before it could be a problem with a blockage further into the ureters.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

He is doing well today -- temp was up this morning to 101.5 and much more alert and still eating and peeing and drinking etc. :thumb:

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

He sounds like he is doing well!!

Peeing is a VERY good thing :leap:

And um....yes, I have held onto a bucks "hoohoo" while trying to remove icecubes( or pee cubes) from the end of it :ROFL:

It wasn't fun for Hank either :oops:

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

And it takes a very good friend to cut the pizzle off your buck's hoohoo for you. :wink: :ROFL:

Yeah, It really takes two people to get anything done with a bucks thingy. One to hold the buck and the other to.. ahem. :slapfloor:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she is insistent that I will never live that down.....BUT may I remind you darling that YOU were the one to suggest the idea and offered :p (of which I am very grateful)

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Stacey....so happy for you and Dude that he is doing better......I just can't imagine having to do what you and Ashley did, what we won't do to help or save the life of our goaties........I would do if I had to, but pray I'm never confronted with it.

20. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

I do not like petroleum based antibiotic creams as it doen not let the area breath right and they are not all that effective with infection...betadine would be my choice but you would have to apply it several times a day and use it as a cleaner. Tea tree oil I use a lot for cuts and it works so well as does cedar oil but cedar oil would burn more.