The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would say for sure close but not within a few days. The first calf heifers IMO seem to swell.....dialat well before its time.......they drive me crazy!!! :) I would just get into the habit of checking on her a few times a day.

·
2,203 Posts
Her bag will be tight, really depends on what youre feeding on exactly how tight. 36 hours ish she'll appear slab sided (flat body), and her loose belly underneath will be round and tight. The baby drops onto her belly with the muscles loosened, her ligs up around her tailhead will recede, and her vulva will come out of the pelvis area. Look for thick off-white mucous. It'll be thin mucous, then really thick for a few days, then super thin, almost watery. When you see thin again, baby is nearly here. Don't go by milk on a heifer. She'll leak even sometimes 2 weeks before she's due depending on what you feed and her production line.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No baby yet. She does have mucous coming out the last couple of days and baby has dropped down in stomach. She only gets grass hay and pasture. I don't plan to grain or give her alfalfa until she calves and needs it. I'll try to get another picture today. Thanks!

·
2,203 Posts
Oh yes. Her pins have dropped, and her ligs are giving way. Good luck! She looks slab sided and yes baby is carried low. Do you have a due date on her or just going by appearance? I'd say 4 or 5 days away. Heifers are stubborn however, and she may fool ya. We just had a heifer fully dilated (via vaginal exam), ligs given, hold out for a week. Poor girl. Lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh wow!!! Now shes about ready ;) I would make you you keep a good eye on her. Because its her first time I agree with mjs but she still might give at any time. A trick :)
They did a study and cattle that were fed before 4 pm had their calf's during the day. I tried this with the goats last year and found it to be ALMOST true lol still had a few late night kids but nothing like the year before.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree with everyone else but when she starts to swish her tail pretty much nonstop she could calve very soon probably that day or the next.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She had her baby!! In the cold, wet dark. She delivered in the stall (opens up to her pasture) so baby is out if the wind and rain. :)

·
2,203 Posts
Woohoo good momma!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's a boy, which works out great since I bred her to a Black Angus. Would only like a heifer if I find a registered Jersey for her.
Now I have to figure out how to milk her and hope I don't get kicked. :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts