Due Dates

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Mar 24, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I know I've seen a few websites where people will list two possible due dates for their does. I understand when they are separated by a few days (because of possible five day heats, etc). However, sometimes they are separated by full heat cycles . . . example: March 1st or March 22nd.

So my question is if a doe was successfully bred, why would she stand for a buck 21 days later?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because sometimes they are just hormonal -- 90% of the time they will kid on the later date

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks - I know I am asking a ton of probably nutty questions! I'm going slightly nuts trying to figure out when my doe is going to kid. And since I'm the one who lost (threw away) the record of her breeding date, I can only blame myself - argh. So I'm looking for signs/info that might help me pin it down, but it's feeling a bit futile :( I have instructions printed out to check her ligs, so I'm off to do that and take a peek at her udder and compare it to the one from last week.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it can be very frustrating :(

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We all are the same way... :wink: with our does ...you never know when...they keep you in suspense and by the time they kid ....you have no more hair... :hair: :greengrin: