The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe is obviously in heat, and I have but the buck in the pen with her. I've seen him mount her numerous times. Is there a minimum time I should leave them in there together?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Not a dumb question at all :D

I like to see three good visuals...some will leave for a few days to be sure...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I couldn't find anything on here, so googled the question. I read that he should not service more than one doe a day, as it could be stressful to his system. That made me start worrying that the multiple times he had out there might be too taxing. Ha! :p

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
lol..Mine service many in one day..feeding well while in rut is important since it does takes alot out of them...they tend to drop weight..

·
14,615 Posts
We usually put two or three in at a time & pull the ones who've been covered but I always leave at least one or two for a week or two, then bring in another small batch.
Be monitoring his water intake & make sure he is eating enough. They do get distracted.

·
14,760 Posts
I'd leave her in there for as long as she is allowing him to mount. After that, I'd take her out.

Edited to add that I mean 'no longer' as in, she is no longer interested or in standing heat. We've had does stand for 2-3 days, then others for about a day.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I like to just watch for 3 successful breedings and then leave the doe in with my guy for the day. I take her out at dusk and usually that's it. If the doe is in standing heat the next day I may put her in for a couple again, but only for an hour unless I don't feel like she was covered that well the day before. Which, with my inexperienced buckling has happened. :p

I just try to give my guy good minerals and time to relax. I only have 3 does for him to breed so he hasn't had to do too much this year.

·
1,524 Posts
Bucks have evolved to breed many does in a short period of time, so an adult buck should be able to handle a herd by himself. In the wild, the youngsters wouldn't be allowed to breed by the older bucks so they might sneak in one of 2 does when the older bucks were busy. Too many does can damage a young buck, even though he is usually more fertile than an older buck!

My 2 bucks forget to eat their hay. They will eat their grain and beet pulp but their hay? Nope!

·
Banned
988 Posts
I keep my buck in with the girls until the following month so if anyone got missed or didn't take the first heat. My buck bred 10 does with in a week. 4 on one day. He did lose the most of his weight in that week but he still looked good for being in a hard rut.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I read that he should not service more than one doe a day, as it could be stressful to his system.
Hmmm, I guess I've got stressed out bucks. I've seen them service 2 or 3 does a day on several occasions and that was just when I was watching! :laugh:

PS I leave my bucks in with the girls for 60 days - sometimes longer if it is unusually hot or the weather is whacked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts