The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeling pretty sorry for myslef lately- First Dot had no kids, I still haven't figured out exactly what is wrong with her and the vets have all my money.
So I was prepared for something awful to happen when Timber got suddenly very lame- she could only take little baby steps- she was standing with her knees slightly cocked. Now the vet had said both my goats were overweight- I had just switched them from alfalfa to grass hay- I checked her front legs and hooves carefully- nothing.
Fine- just great- I decided my poor husbandry had given my poor goat laminitis- so I started her on anti-inflamintories - she got a ltiile better but not much- I had a horse with chronic laminitis so I thought I knew how to take care of this but maybe back to the vet?- I'm already up to my knees in debt over Dot and without result- wa wa wa wa wa wa.......
Then yesterday morning I thought- she should be better- I watched her hobble along with her back legs way under her and said to myself- I wonder..........
Finally checked her back feet yesterday- she has a serious case of scratches- for pete sake- I washed them and treated them and today she is 75% better- treated again and will keep it up til gone.
But how stupid of me- I was so ready for something awful that I couldn't spend time checking everything out but just assumed the worst- poor little goatie.
So wa wa wa wa on me!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just been too wet here - scratches is the horse term for a bacertial infection of the heels and pastern cause by wet conditions. I just didn't think back feet so didn't look -only checked the front. I wasn't until she was lying down and I touched her rear foot and she jerked it away that the light dawned on me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about my negative attitude lately- I wonder if it is the result of our non-stop rain for the last three weeks. It seems that when I wake up and see sun, I bounce out of bed and look forward to my chores.
By the way- you easterners (almost everyone since I live less than 7 mile to the ocean) it does look like some dry may be coming your way too- the weatherman PROMISED that we'll have 4 relatively dry days coming.

Well I will try to be less whiney and more up beat and helpful when I post. :fireworks:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
WOW, I am just happy that you noticed it. Good for you. She will be better in no time.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah, it always seems bad things happen in groups. I hope things start to look up for you soon. As for the weather, we just have snow here-which to me is better than the rain-except that it seems to stick around longer;). I've been lucky to have healthy goats so far. I think the worst i've ever had to deal with is Mastitis-and thankfully not the serious kind. I think i'm ready for warmer, dryer weather though so that it makes my walks a bit more enjoyable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts