Dumb da dumb dumb

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Jan 12, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have been feeling pretty sorry for myslef lately- First Dot had no kids, I still haven't figured out exactly what is wrong with her and the vets have all my money.
    So I was prepared for something awful to happen when Timber got suddenly very lame- she could only take little baby steps- she was standing with her knees slightly cocked. Now the vet had said both my goats were overweight- I had just switched them from alfalfa to grass hay- I checked her front legs and hooves carefully- nothing.
    Fine- just great- I decided my poor husbandry had given my poor goat laminitis- so I started her on anti-inflamintories - she got a ltiile better but not much- I had a horse with chronic laminitis so I thought I knew how to take care of this but maybe back to the vet?- I'm already up to my knees in debt over Dot and without result- wa wa wa wa wa wa.......
    Then yesterday morning I thought- she should be better- I watched her hobble along with her back legs way under her and said to myself- I wonder..........
    Finally checked her back feet yesterday- she has a serious case of scratches- for pete sake- I washed them and treated them and today she is 75% better- treated again and will keep it up til gone.
    But how stupid of me- I was so ready for something awful that I couldn't spend time checking everything out but just assumed the worst- poor little goatie.
    So wa wa wa wa on me!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you poor thing!

I hope she recovers quickly for you, do you know how she got the scratches?

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It's just been too wet here - scratches is the horse term for a bacertial infection of the heels and pastern cause by wet conditions. I just didn't think back feet so didn't look -only checked the front. I wasn't until she was lying down and I touched her rear foot and she jerked it away that the light dawned on me.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm sorry about the goats.I know what it's like as it's hard to find a job in junior high for the animals to drive you into debt.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I've been thinking about my negative attitude lately- I wonder if it is the result of our non-stop rain for the last three weeks. It seems that when I wake up and see sun, I bounce out of bed and look forward to my chores.
    By the way- you easterners (almost everyone since I live less than 7 mile to the ocean) it does look like some dry may be coming your way too- the weatherman PROMISED that we'll have 4 relatively dry days coming.

Well I will try to be less whiney and more up beat and helpful when I post. :fireworks:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I am just happy that you noticed it. Good for you. She will be better in no time.

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah, it always seems bad things happen in groups. I hope things start to look up for you soon. As for the weather, we just have snow here-which to me is better than the rain-except that it seems to stick around longer;). I've been lucky to have healthy goats so far. I think the worst i've ever had to deal with is Mastitis-and thankfully not the serious kind. I think i'm ready for warmer, dryer weather though so that it makes my walks a bit more enjoyable.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh I hate rain, when its all rainy I always seem gloomier. I'll pray for Timber's recovery!! :)