Dumb Question - please don't laugh

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by PattiXmas, Jan 21, 2010.

1. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I have posted pictures of my girl, Snowy, with the huge lopsided udder. She isn't due until March, and this will be her first time. I have instructed the kids that when they feed them, to pet them, play with them and touch their udders to help get them used to it.

Well, I was out there yesterday and I was messing around with Snowy's udder, just barely touched the huge lopsided teat and out came an almost clear liquid with a milky hue to it. I would assume it's the colostrum. Should we just leave everything along and not mess with her?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not laughing at all.... no question is dumb... never feel that way here... :hug:

Does her udder feel hot ... ?

is it discolored at all?

3. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    To me, it feels hot (or warm) to everyone else it feels fine. No discoloration present, she's eating fine, pooping like a gumball machine and is her usual annoying (j/k) self.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may be a precocious milker... her udder is developing early.... that is why ...leakage can happen....
    Is her udder tight?

Some does ...do this even not being pregnant....

AS long as ...she doesn't have a continuous flow of milk you are fine. I wouldn't mess with her anymore.... to prevent leakage.... What you are seeing is regular milk it sounds like to me...... she hasn't produced the colostrum just yet....as she has 2 months or so to go... colostrum is... really thick ....as milk is watery/ white... :wink:

Just keep an eye on her... :hug:

5. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks again! Udder is nice and tight! We will refrain from touching her udder until she kids.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :hug: :thumbup:

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Hey, no question is a dumb question!

"AS long as ...she doesn't have a continuous flow of milk you are fine. I wouldn't mess with her anymore.... to prevent leakage.... "

A question about this... Are you to leave her alone because milking triggers contractions? At least in humans. Perhaps goats are the same?

8. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I don't think it triggers contractions. I think the colustrum horomone gets 'turned' off if the udder is milked 'before' the colustrum horomone can even be turned on . . .in other words, no colustrum for babies when it's kidding time . . .
    :D I don't think I explained it right but . . .that's kinda how i see it.

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Don't mess with it!!!! I had pregnent girls that people buy and they always bag early so they try to milk them (even though its not milk) and they always get mastitis, which isn't something to fool with. Its good that you asked instead of going and trying, no question is dumb with goats!! :)

10. Idahodreamer

oh, really? interesting.
    is that the main reason why your not suppose to?

11. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Sorry if I worded that wrong. I shouldn't say always, I just ment for my lines since they are heavy on milking genetics. It is common though. I had a lamancha that had an early bag and it was practically streaming out of her, I sold her and told the new owners not to touch it, they didn't listen and tried milking her, when she did freshen, one side was full of mastitis, and the other was fine, (they messed with one side) and they were mad at me! I do reccommend just leaving it alone though! :)

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    You just touched her udder and she leaked? Or did you squeeze the teat? Because just touching the udder shouldn't cause her to leak. Is March her only due date? Her udder shouldn't be tight just yet.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No not at all.... it just makes them bring more milk... If you milk her later in gestation you risk taking away precious colostrum from the babies....

She isn't in the stage of colostrum.... unless the due date is wrong....in which the way.. that the leakage was described... is way to thin... to be colostrum....colostrum is sticky ..thick ...light yellow in color...... it is a hormone ...that is triggered to produce colostrum.... the last few weeks before kidding occurs... :wink:

nutmegfarm does have a great point...by having the plug out of the teat orifice...there is a risk of bacteria getting into the teat creating mastitis..... :wink:

Hope this helps... :grouphug:

14. Idahodreamer

. . .Someone told me a long time ago that if you milk them when they start bagging up early in gestation they don't produce colustrum at all. :shrug: old wives tale?

:D Thanks Pam, great job clearing that up!

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Patti...I am going to throw this out there only because it is a possibility. Have you ever seen Snowy pulling on that teat or even sucking?
    I recall a post you had made with pics of your girls and her lopsided udder before, the clearish milky type "milk" that came from that side puts me in mind of when I dry my girls off before breeding, once their udders go down I have checked for emptiness and this is what I get from a near dry udder. If at all Snowy has a form of precocious udder and she is stimulating herself this could be a factor, if indeed she is suckling on that teat, she may continue once she fully bags up or she won't. Don't touch that teat and since the natural plug to stop bacteria from entering the orifice is gone, you may want to dip it in some gentle iodine and keep an eye out for infection. I'm sure she'll be just fine though and you may find yourself with an extremely capacious milker come March.

16. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    We haven't caught her sucking on it, but then again they are up and running the minute we walk towards the barn. They must have super duper hearing! I will dip her teat in iodine and we will NOT touch it. What the heck am I going to do with an extremely capacious milker???

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....Learn how to make cheese!! Even with 3-4 nigies in milk I end up with more than just me n hubby can drink, I make all kinds of good things that my family enjoys...cheese, ice cream, yogurt and soap.

It was just a thought to consider, I did battle for a few years with a doe that was a self nurser, I finally won though and we reached a truce with a collar to prevent her from doing it.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I can tell you ...that it isn't a good idea to milk at all ...when they are starting to bag up....it isn't smart.... and ...is risky in alot of ways.... If it.. is a wives tale or not....I am unsure....but...I do know ...I was told... it isn't a good idea...that is for sure....

The doe... that is leaking ...has ...a form of colostrum starting...but ...it hasn't thicken up yet.... being a precocious milker...means she is producing at a earlier time... so the consistency is not as thick... :greengrin:

No problem... :wink:

Liz may be right.. she may be a self sucker.... when you go in the barn...check to see if.. her teats are wet or really clean looking... :hug:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... Talitha... :hug: :greengrin: