dummy questions...help?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay. how old does a goat need to be to be weaned? And how big averagely is an alpine at that time? I know that is a hard one, since they come in a lot of different sizes. Also, the goat is bottle-raised, if that helps the weaning question.

I feel stupid, need to do my homework. LOL

Trying to figure out the shipping issue.

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    A goat is usually weaned about 3 months or so. I keep mine on longer for growth, but 3 months is good. Hmm, the weight depends on genetics, management, etc, but a rough estimate can be around 45ish pounds or so, maybe a little under. I'm taking this from my own experience, kids born in feb. were around 50 pounds in april, they were saanens, so you have to calculate the size difference between the two. I hope this helps a little:)

3. 3 months is the earliest you would want to pull him or her from the bottle and in that time keep food down so they start eating. As for size, though I do not know much on that breed, being a bottle baby in general will not be as easy. The size will simply depend on how strong this little one was when she/he got stated, how well she/he has been cared for, and if she/he was the runt etc.

Hope that helps.

4. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    As far as the shipping issue is concerned, see if their sale results are published anywhere. If so, check it out on a weekly basis. You might also want to consider talking to them directly and finding out what kids sell better at what age and weight. Just a suggestion.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I never keep my buck kids past three weeks old. I dont wean my does until they are around five or six months. Better growth that way. But they can be weaned as arealy as eight to ten weeks.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    weaning can take place as early as 8 weeks

I wean 10-12 weeks most of the time but have done 8 weeks often as well

7. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    i was hand-reared my first alpines and weaned at 5 months
    the one's that were on the mother i weaned at (bucks 3 & does 4 months...
    :whatgoat:

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I keep my doelings on milk until they are 4-5 months old to get them to breeding size by Fall/Winter. Bucks are weaned at 3 months and I unload the wethers at 8-12 weeks old. If you're planning to ship a kid you're selling, the new owner can always continue to bottle feed once they have the goat. Most breeders ship bottle babies at 6 weeks old if they are flying to their new home. They are old enough to go without a bottle for the duration of the trip by then.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    This is a goat I am buying, so I was trying to maybe figure out how much it would be to fly it here.