The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having trouble finding the label for this NEW mineral online. Took a trip to tractor supply and attaching it in case anyone needs it.

Please see that the copper and zinc levels are unsuitable and know that I do not recommend this mineral and I am happy to explain further in this thread.
Photograph White Font Newspaper Material property

·
Registered
Nigerian Dwarfs: Boots, Buttercup, Snowflake, and Dottie!
585 Posts
Awe ok. I believe Manna Pro goat mineral has that amount of copper in it

·
Registered
64 Posts
I purchased Dumor mineral because I needed something to hold me over till my feed store restocked the one I like. I have a two compartment mineral feeder and have been putting Sweetlix in one side and Dumor in the other. My goats eat the Dumor so fast that I can't keep it full for long. I found it interesting that they consume it far faster than the quality stuff. If I'm reading it right, the Dumor seems to have more corn than Sweetlix. Maybe that's why my goats like it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased Dumor mineral because I needed something to hold me over till my feed store restocked the one I like. I have a two compartment mineral feeder and have been putting Sweetlix in one side and Dumor in the other. My goats eat the Dumor so fast that I can't keep it full for long. I found it interesting that they consume it far faster than the quality stuff. If I'm reading it right, the Dumor seems to have more corn than Sweetlix. Maybe that's why my goats like it.
Yes it is actually filled with corn and grain by-products which makes it too much like a feed product and not enough of a mineral product for goats to consume it as they should. They also need more of it to just equal the same amount of minerals as Sweetlix. If goats are consuming a lot of a mineral, usually it's a poorer mineral.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My goats love loose salt and minerals sweetlix meat maker 16:8.
It is a very good loose mineral.
And very good for them.
So saying if they like it and lick from it is not a good loose mineral is wrong to say. ;)
I definitely didn't mean that - I worded it confusingly. I mean if you put two minerals next to each other (like OP did), and the goats are eating less of the really good mineral (sweetlix) and a lot of poorer mineral (dumor), it can mean that the good mineral supplies their needs with some good licks, while the not good mineral requires them to take in wild amounts to actually fulfill their needs.

Any good mineral, you'll see goats consume a fair amount of - that is not what I was saying. No, goats won't ignore a mineral if it's good - that's for sure.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dumor is a mineral I bought recently that the goats love. I was hoping it was a nice mineral since the price is nicer than Manna Pro, which the goats waste a lot of. I noticed the small clumps of different minerals seem unevenly distributed. They eat the mineral like candy. It seemed more fine and less mineral looking than the Manna Pro. My only other options are limited. Orscheln has a Country Lane mineral I wasn’t so sure about. Tractor supply randomly has a Purina mineral for goats and now Dumor.

Sooo, after reading this thread today, I went ahead and bought four 25 lb bags of Sweetlix meat maker. I ordered online from a horse site. The closest stores I could find that carry it are not in my state. The shipping price increased in smaller amounts after the 2nd bag. To be more economical, I ordered 4. Would keeping mineral bags in a sealed metal trash can in a basement help preserve them best while keeping mice out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts